Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tower & Bridge - an isometric map in the making

Wip Tower & Bridge - an isometric map in the making

Hey there cartographers, having largely wrapped up my last map, and because I want do more drawing, I have decided to focus my efforts on drawing the map of a tower connected to a bridge, or vice versa really, but whatever.

Anyways, having seen some of the one page dungeon challenges from past years, I decided I wanted to make this an isometric map!

I'll be using this thread to track my progress and ask any question I might have!

Here's the initial floor plan and the beginning of the wall being drawn:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	towerbridge.png 
Views:	447 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	60763

Now, it isn't much right now, but it'll give you a good idea of what i'm aiming for even though I'll be deviating from the plan as I get to the top of the tower.

However, on to question(s):

Does anybody know a reliable way of drawing a spirally staircase? I'm using GIMP and I don't think I can get precise enough with my paths for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoopz View Post
    Does anybody know a reliable way of drawing a spirally staircase? I'm using GIMP and I don't think I can get precise enough with my paths for it.
    1. Google images search 'isometric spiral staircase'.
    2. Pick one, for example http://gerryld.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/dsc_1649.jpg
    3. Use it as inspiration; or if the map is just for personal non-commercial use then you can copy the image, import it into your map, resize it, then trace it.

@Jack, thank you sir, that's an excellent reference (and although my maps are non-commercial, I don't like to copy or trace so a reference is all it'll remain unfortunately)

Anyways, here's tonight's progress, I got the majority of the bottom chamber done, aside from aforementioned staircase, which I'll probably draw separately and insert in before I finish the interior lighting for this room.

Name:	towerbridge2.png 
Views:	299 
Size:	3.01 MB 
ID:	60773

As I said, the interior lighting has yet to be finished, and the process of drawing those (admittedly rudimentary) boards was surprisingly painstaking. I shall add some more detail to the boards before the staircase and lighting go in however. I also began to set up (largely not in the picture as the layers were turned off) the boards and joists to support the second floor.

At this point I'm having some trouble discerning the true scale, I'll have to draw in a figure or two to sort it out. Other than that, I think it's all set. If anyone has any questions about peculiar features please ask them! Or if you have something to point out or critique do that too!

I hope you guys are/will enjoy this process!

EDIT: Is this better off in another forum section? I haven't noticed any similar projects on the building/structure subforum's frontpage.
    Last edited by Scoopz; 01-27-2014 at 10:19 PM.

Alright, another update, of which I hope to get another out tonight!

Anyways, I wanted to start on the light of the first floor before it got too cluttered so I proceeded to do so before I finish putting in the beams and the lifts (let me explain that). Furthermore, I've decided that given the style of this drawing and the architectural limitations of this building the spiral staircase will actually be a lift!

Name:	towerbridge3.png 
Views:	337 
Size:	3.05 MB 
ID:	60804

the lift placeholders/outlines are just there to give you the general idea/size of them. Ideally they should look like they'll be able to transport both people and cargo.

Anyways, what do you guys think of the wall lighting? I know that it isn't the most meticulously consistent, but is it... believable?

EDIT: whoops, I forgot the brazier flame didn't I?

Alright, this is the bulk of what got done tonight, I fully added lighting to the first floor, and some bare lighting to the beams 'cause those will get covered up next update by floor #2. This update pretty much finishes floor #1, I won't go back to it until I finish the rest of the drawing, then I'll be adding doors and some miscellaneous details.

Name:	towerbridge4.png 
Views:	156 
Size:	3.23 MB 
ID:	60806

Hopefully this can be utilized by someone playing a P&P, or at least that you'll all enjoy looking at it.

Since you guys have already seen my draw an entire room, I'll stop posting nightly's and just update whenever I finish a room from now on! I figure that'll be less dull.

As always, if you have any questions, advice, or critique please feel free to ask, give, or critique me.

Enjoy!

Hello!

Name:	towerbridge5.png 
Views:	279 
Size:	3.50 MB 
ID:	60879

I'll just drop this here, this is as far as I'll get for a few weeks, because I think I want to try my hand at the current lite mapping challenge! Anyways, enjoy this in it's unfinished state. This doesn't mean it won't be finished, it just means not right now! In this hiatus, if anyone has something to say about this project, speak up!

Enjoy!

Blog Entries

Oh I see what you're doing now

I wasn't sure what it was at first, but you're showing like a cut-away of the tower

(Takes me a while to get things, sorry!)

And yay challenges!

Looking forward to see that spiral staircase scoopz.

Well I changed out the main mode of transportation to lifts. But ya know what? I think I'll add a side tower for the spiral staircase!

I'm not sure if the lightning effect is right but it look nice and the rest of the building is even better

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast