Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: July/August Lite Challenge: GO MAP YOURSELF

Quote Originally Posted by Meriba View Post
    ... Well, luckily this is being even therapeutic
    I'm glad someone else is thinking along those terms. That just cheered me up, Meriba. Thanks
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

A question for Bogie - Meriba got me thinking. If I am a freelance illustrator should I not enter the challenge?

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    A question for Bogie - Meriba got me thinking. If I am a freelance illustrator should I not enter the challenge?
    Not speaking for Bogie, but I don't think that is an issue. As I understand it, eligibility for entering the Lite Challenge is based on previous challenge winnings. Here's the rules page for it: http://www.cartographersguild.com/cu...ease-read.html
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Thanks Chashio.
    Yeah, I read through that after I posted the question.

Chashio is right. Your background is not an issue. You can participate in both the regular challenge and the light challenge until you have won 3 silver or 1 gold compass.

Please enter, we need at least a few people to jump in so it is some bit of competition.

Sorry for the comment J.Edward. I'm just joking about the difference of quality level between your work and mine. Please join the therapy!

Bogie - question... is there any etiquette regarding posting final maps in a challenge before the challenge is decided?
    I had thought about posting this in finished maps. And also on my deviantart page.

No worries Meriba.
    I've entered contests in the past with professionals and I always hated that too. I would say I am semi-professional.

It is very common for people to post their map from the challenge in the Finished Maps Forum and on other sites like DeviantArt. Most people do it after the challenge is over, but there is nothing that says you can't do it now if you want to.
    The one thought that comes to mind would be if you posted it on the Finished Maps forum with a big sign saying "GO VOTE FOR ME IN THE CHALLENGE", that would be considered a little tacky. The challenges are a friendly competition to get us to push ourselves to be better, we're not running for political office. I know a gentleman like yourself would not do that anyway.

@ Meriba, When I started mapping 7 years ago I entered some contests on the DundJinni Forums website even though most of the other mappers were way better than me. But by pushing myself to try to compete, and by several of the better mappers encouraging me and giving me advice ( just like what happens here at the Guild all the time ), I got better faster than I would if I just made maps on my own. Embrace the challenge.
    Last edited by Bogie; 08-06-2014 at 08:44 PM.

Thanks Bogie. I just wanted to know. I can wait.
    I have to agree. Doing this challenge, with the time constraint really pushed me. I came up with some new and faster ways to do things that I would not likely have if I hadn't done this challenge. Time permitting I will do more challenges.

Thanks both for your encouraging words.

@J.Edward I don't hate to contest with pros, semi-pros, or whatever euphemism you use, it's more like play football with pros, or sing a song with a talented band, a priviledge and a way to learn more about myself and simply enjoy the moment. I repeat, it's only a joke. I see now, a unfortunate joke, but simply that. As I said, enjoy the therapy!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast