Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: July/August Lite Challenge: GO MAP YOURSELF

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post July/August Lite Challenge: GO MAP YOURSELF

A while back Seredemia suggested a challenge topic to "Map yourself". The idea sounds interesting so let's try it out.
    You can see her original post suggesting this topic here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/ma...-yourself.html

GO MAP YOURSELF

Basically, make a map that represents you as a person. It doesn't have to be anything personal ( or it can if you want); just make a map that lets us know what sort of person you are. Like, for example, you could make a map of your favourite things and represent them as places, etc. Or make a map of what you've achieved so far in your life. Or a map of things you would like to do before you kick the bucket. Or a map that actually looks like you (how in the world someone will achieve this, I have no idea though...) The possibilities are endless, so long as we learn something interesting about you and it's shown well through the map.

To Quote Sredemia: "I just thought it might be fun to see what ideas people come up with. Plus, it should be a nice way to get to know each other, no?"

As usual, the challenge will run until around the 14th of next month, after which there will be Three days of voting.
    The winner gets a Silver Compass to proudly display on their posts, as well as the adoration of all of his or her peers!

Please DO NOT forget to title each thread in this format: July/August 2014 Lite Challenge: < your title here >

AND Please DO NOT forget to preface each image with this tag: ### Latest WIP ### Otherwise, the thumbnail scraper won't be able to pick up your entry, and no one will be able to see it when voting time rolls around.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about this idea! Nice one, Bogie.

Ah, that's so tempting! I might be able to sneak it into some late nights. I hope so. Nice choice, Bogie. And a cool idea, Seredemia!
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

No entries? Anyone? Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    No entries? Anyone? Anyone?
    Still thinking about how to do it. And busy with other things. And wondering... if I do figure how to complete the challenge, do I even want to post it on the internet? The internet is, after all, so... public. haha
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Not much time available, just by chance. I've thought a bit about starter-ideas... might help spark entrants? Simon & Garfunkel singing "I am a rock - I am an island!" Or conversely the John Donne poem "no man is an island..." The John Denver song with the line "I want to live with my feet in Dixie and my head in the cool, cool North". Looking at the back of my hand or my forearm I wonder if the veins would make a road network... or one of rivers. Or since I'm an engineer by trade, would a railroad network be more appropriate? A familiar neighborhood is said to be as well known as the back of one's hand... In the Appalachians a phenomenon crops up where some hilltops or mountaintops are treeless - just grass and shrubs - and not like it's above treeline by altitude; neighboring taller peaks can be fully treed. I too am balding, and those hilltops are called 'Balds".

We use unusual methods of generating random-but-plausibly-systematic coastlines - I wonder if a set of profiles of me, rendered as B&W cutouts, would make raw materials to snip and puzzle-fit to make interesting landmasses. I'm rather less fractal than a cloudy sky, but it's at least a different thought.

I briefly considered combining this with the July regular challenge - with barbarian invaders vs defending troops being bacteria vs. my immune system....

I could do a superhero map of the city I so valiantly defend from supervillains... except if i had a superpower it would be obliviousness. Y'know: "able to ignore tall buildings at a single glance." Not the most dynamic of subjects. "Captain Oblivion, the, uhhh, ignorable foe of lukewarm ill-will?"

Map of me, map of me, map of me. Hmmm. Well, the punnily obvious choice is the USA State of Maine, standard abbreviation ME. I could go pun-low from all angles, with neighboring fictional states of Doray and Faso.

A geekily appropriate topical map would be to take places I've lived, weighted by lengths of time in each, and derive cartographically my average location across my life. Ditto locations I've worked plotted vs. lengths of time each, getting my average workplace. Hmmm - wonder what that means my "average commute" is, effectively...

Wow half way through and no takers. If I was allowed to compete in the lite challenges I could throw something together and win by DEFAULT ! Cue the maniacal laughter !!
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

I'm in! Although, don't be too hard with my work.

I'm trying to get something ready. I like the theme. I have too many things going at one time.

Great, my hopes were dashed. A professional artist... really? Well, luckily this is being even therapeutic

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast