Thread: [FIN]Nameless Map, All Inspired

Map [FIN]Nameless Map, All Inspired

Hello, so this is my first post here. I'd like to thank Pasi Soini for his hard work teaching me about layers to create mountains. I wanted to show you guys how awesome and cool you were for being my number one google return choice for learning how to make custom maps, and so this is my first. Took two days to complete and texture.

Since my map was envisioned as being a pseudo-satellite overlay with height maps, I only used one beveled layer instead of multiple to generate more stubby looking, but smaller mountain ranges. I had the most fun attempting to create different varying degrees of sounds and texture bases. Let me know what you think!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FirstWorld.png 
Views:	218 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	65854
    Last edited by Joshua Fenris; 07-19-2014 at 08:40 PM.

Nice work. I really like the shallows and the river delta in the south.

Quote Originally Posted by dmk View Post
    Nice work. I really like the shallows and the river delta in the south.
    Thanks for that!

I think the best thing for me to work on was covering the mountains with snow, and then building up all of the delta's and islands in the way I did. For that, I just used a slight bevel, I think a softer setting, and with a dry brush, painted the outside of all the islands and sounds with the details that you see there. I used my oceans base layer, darkened it, and had it underneath the beveled ground texture so that when I finished drawing up sounds, islands, and other barriers, I could sweep underneath them with a light opacity brush, and give them a more tropical look.

I also tried to make it look like the ground beneath the water was closer to the surface to make it more realistic. That took three hours to do right. Agh! But it paid off in the end! And thanks for the feedback, I was never sure if I'd have a good start, but this is!