Thread: Ordenex-Ryadni star system

Map Ordenex-Ryadni star system

This is a map I made showing the planetary system in which one of the alien species I'm worldbuilding comes from. I started out initially writing stories, but my notes kept getting misplaced and I couldn't keep the system straight in my head. Putting it together like this made me get everything streamlined which I found helpful for the writing aspect.

It's the kind of thing that would be posted out at the edges of the Empire, as some general information for travelers and newcomers. My aliens aren't particularly fond of humans, but they'll translate important documents into Basic if it's necessary.

The planets themselves aren't to scale, since I'm doing that in a different image, but the orbital paths are scaled properly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StarSystemFinal.png 
Views:	167 
Size:	814.4 KB 
ID:	65989

Great job! Now I'm curious what the species looks like. "writing stories" as in a book or gaming aspect or ?
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

It look very good visually. You did a great job.

My problem is with scientific accuracy. Having a red dwarf on orbit make most of the planet too close to Ordenex really unstable according to Universe sandbox. Unfortunately, I can't find the safe zone because the software is going crazy but maybe someone has the real equation.

Thank you!

And it's a writing a book aspect, although right now I'm just trying to get things planned out properly. I've found that a lot of really good story ideas pop up when you start working on the world/world history.

@Azelor: I was afraid it wouldn't be too accurate scientifically. I'm definitely open to moving things around though. The only thing I could find for getting safe zone data is from Washington State University and it doesn't calculate binary star systems.
    Last edited by Kxaltli; 07-25-2014 at 03:36 PM. Reason: New reply while typing

Quote Originally Posted by Kxaltli View Post
    Thank you!

And it's a writing a book aspect, although right now I'm just trying to get things planned out properly. I've found that a lot of really good story ideas pop up when you start working on the world/world history.
    I've found that to be true as well! only... I'm not enough of a writer to be able to take the idea and plot a whole story; my brain freezes after the first scene from overexposure to possibilities.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

I really like the style of this map! Great Job!

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

Brilliant stuff! Made we want to play Taveller like back in high school!

Quote Originally Posted by Kxaltli View Post
    Thank you!

@Azelor: I was afraid it wouldn't be too accurate scientifically. I'm definitely open to moving things around though. The only thing I could find for getting safe zone data is from Washington State University and it doesn't calculate binary star systems.

I think (I need a real scientist to confirm that) that the difference in the masses of the 2 stars is too slim. Therefore, the center of the system is somewhere between them. Like this :
    Binary star - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's really a fantastic way to set up a system map! Very classy and somehow art deco. At some point I may have to shamelessly copy you!

If you're open to suggestions, I do have a couple:
    - The first letter of each planet's name being yellow looks odd to my eye; maybe just having the whole thing black would look better?
    - What about leaving a bit more space between the info box and the outermost orbit? And keeping the planet images of those outer two inside the overall image instead of overlapping it.

Please take those with a grain of salt; they're only my opinion. Great work, and have some rep!