Thread: Denoril, The Land of 5 Provinces

Map Denoril, The Land of 5 Provinces

This is a commission I filled a couple months ago for a writer named Aaron Bunce. He needed it for a book he was writing called "Within" (you can find it on iTunes actually) and liked my previous work. This is my first professional piece and I'm really proud of how it turned out! I made it in photoshop using my bamboo tablet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Denoril map finalized.png 
Views:	360 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	65835

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Some serious rivers issues here.

Not to say that your waterway is impossible in real life, but it's highly improbable. Common sense would suggest that the water from Bardtown should flow southward because it's so close to the sea. Since it's not the case, it means that the land near the sea have a high elevation that prevent the water from flowing in that direction. Water should always flow in the shortest route possible, unless there is an obstacle.

The same logic apply between the two central lakes.

The writer had drawn a sketch of what he wanted featured and that included the rivers and mountains as depicted. I can't say I've ever given real thought to river creation, although I've been told something about the way they flow in respects to their relation to the equator. I can't remember the lesson however haha.

I don't think the equator has something to do with this

no your are right but it's in the ocean. Rivers don't have such circular current.
    Last edited by Azélor; 07-18-2014 at 09:27 PM.

No I don't think it has any relevance to it either, but for purposes in the story these rivers had to be where they are

I like it. I think it's pretty neat looking, and it looks like it belongs on the inside front cover of some graphic novel that I might pick up. Great work!

Great feedback Azelor and Max. I created the first drawn map as a means of keeping my geography straight as I wrote the story. I only incorporated those geographical entities that were influential to the story, and for continuity sake. I decided to incorporate the map into the published book at the last minute (as a means of providing readers a simple tool for geography). All rivers flow south, or southwest and because of size constraints I wanted to limit the number of tributaries. Those southern rivers do terminate at the oceanic body of water, I just didn't include the specific termination point in my drawing, or overflow from lakes, and didn't think anything of it in the final version as well. This was an oversight on my part. I love the attention to detail and amazing quality you guys integrate into your maps. It speaks of passion missing from so many other professions. Alex was awesome to work with on this map, and his map is a fantastic addition to my novel.