Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: My New Terra ...

Sure, I don't always have the time, but today it's a good day to ask me for directions. Here's a map kind of covering my previous thoughs:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	suggestions.gif 
Views:	100 
Size:	623.1 KB 
ID:	65866

As for eye shaped dorsals - they aren't stable. As the center part (the eye) grows, it will eventually shut down one of the dorsals from its magma source, hence closing down that rift. They can exist in the earlier continental rifts, and the present African Rift is one exampe, but will not remain in place all the way to the point that an ocean has already formed. You can read about failed rifts to understand it better - a good example is the Newark basin, as shown here:

Name:	Break-up_of_Pangaea.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	65867

Cool thanks My world is stil so young lol so I can shape continents a lot I even tought of completely redo the west parts to not make them resemple too much Americas ...

in meanwhile I tried a test to Draw by hand inside FT a Oceanic Dorsal ... Trying some techniques, not sure how of the outcome though , how it looks?

Name:	dorsaltest.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	315.7 KB 
ID:	65868

Not easy to use those FT tools in general , but I think are extremely powerfull to create a whole world hand painted inside FT .

Btw posted u a question on the african rift on the tut forum , I am a bit confused by it .

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    in meanwhile I tried a test to Draw by hand inside FT a Oceanic Dorsal ... Trying some techniques, not sure how of the outcome though , how it looks?
    Looks good, looks really good and you might be taking FT in a direction I never seen it before! But don't make anything final as the actual direction of the movement isn't likely to be exactly East-West (horizontal) throughout the ridge.

Thankyou ...
    Yes I did it on a test version ...tough so far can work only on vertical splits ,as I can't do a diagonal brush ... I am now experimenting new continetn shapes yet ... I will post some different variations of the world shapes for some continents and post them here to read your opinions and then decide wich one finalize ... the idea is to reach the most "belieavable shapes" and then apply on the the whole tectonic things ... but

The other point is when to apply erosion modeling over them , befoure or after tectonics?
    Its important to note that by the moment I decide to work on flows and erosions out in wilbur the map won't be possible to be changed again and all changes must be in photoshop or the like .

Hello , back with some updates ....

What do you think of this new Shape , refining etc ... plus I added the Dorsal possible location ...

Name:	Helium Geography.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	65874

and here the New Plaques?

Name:	Helium TEctonics.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	65875

I am still not satisfied by west continent and the too much India look of the east , need to rework those ...
    Last edited by Naima; 07-21-2014 at 03:42 AM.

Naima, I think it's time you take the map to g.plates and see the how those plates move. It will be extremely helpful at this point, to figure out the movement of the plates and what sort of boundaries you will have in each location.

Oh I tought I had to decide befoure the location of dorsals?

Hello I took a look at your map and there are a few things I noticed. First it looks like your trying to get the majority of you mountain ranges to line up with plate boundaries. I suggest you reduce the number, not every mountain range needs to be explained by current plate tectonics some of them may have been the product of past plate interactions. Second in a few places you have divergent boundaries becoming convergent most notably between plates R, N, and B, this does not happen. The southern pole needs work, when you change its projection to that of a sphere the boundaries are all going to go to a point. I find the movement of plate G dubious it seems to be spinning in place with no real reason to be.

And lastly I think getting rid of the colors of the plates and letting the terrain show through would help lessen the confusion, right now I'm switching back and forth between the to two.

As an observation I noticed that you have an almost 50/50 percentage of land to ocean.

Good luck and keep at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    Oh I tought I had to decide before the location of dorsals?
    Yep, you do, but it seems to me you already have some dorsals outlined.. it's a matter of checking if they work.

Ok thankyou indeed you are right on all but I am not sure how to place non border tectonical mountains? Sample of thise in Real?
    How bout general continent shape? Also hiw can I do to calculate how much land I have compared to sea? I want to go fora 70 %?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast