Thread: Building types

Help Building types

I'm working on two maps of fantasy cities. I'm working on gathering a list of building types that I want to make, but it's incomplete and I need some help. Here's what I have so far:

Arena
    Bakery
    Barn
    Brewery
    Capitol Building
    Castle
    College
    Church
    City Walls
    Factory
    Fire Station
    Gas Station
    Greenhouse
    House
    Inn
    Library
    Market
    Police Station
    Prison
    Restaurant
    School
    Shop (various kinds)
    Theater (various kinds)
    Train Station
    Warehouse
    Windmill

I'll update this with icons and whatnot as I make them.

Also, another question: I'm mapping in 3DS Max, so would my progress thread go in the town/city mapping subforum or the 3D modelling subforum?
    Last edited by Variable Agent; 07-17-2014 at 04:28 PM.

I'd say if it was general progress it belongs in the city forum, if its progress on just the models in the 3d forum. Also the city forum get more traffic.

I'm not sure what time period you are going for since you have modern buildings (gas station, police station, school) but said fantasy, so I'm assuming it's modern to future. In which case you should include some industrial buildings to complete the set, chemical plants, heavy industry etc. You also need infrastructure services like sewage treatment plants, electric plants, and areas to deal with waste (regardless of time period for that). Possible medical services as well.

If you are dealing with earlier periods, metal works and wood works are both essential to life. So blacksmith and a carpentry shop, with more specialized shops like silver/goldsmiths and wood-turners also being an option. Also typical would be various guilds guarding their goods and services, so a guild for the grain traders, masons guild and so forth.

Depending on location it might also have port services and industries as well.