Thread: [WIP] Katrin Fortress, a Mountain River Runoff Town

Wip [WIP] Katrin Fortress, a Mountain River Runoff Town

Hello!

Here's another city work in progress.

Some background info: The Katrin are a race of Cat people, descendants of Bast, the Egyptian goddess. This town is located on very rocky terrain, by a river runoff. Think similar to traditional Egypt but a stark lack of vegetation.

The rivers aren't like a normal river with banks and silt, this is more like the grand canyon kind of rivers, deep eroded rock surfaces, that kind of thing. Like, in 60,000 years this entire area will likely be comparable to the grand canyon itself.

This is what I've got so far:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Katrin-Fortress-v1.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	4.60 MB 
ID:	65844

And the full size version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lo0afcc22f...ss-v1-full.jpg

What is the desert rose bit? And the part labeled "???"

I looked up desert rose and it says it is either a flower or a special formation of gypsum/baryite (which looks pretty).

Also I noticed there doesn't appear to be an entrance. And does the fact they are humanoid cats influence the architecture much?

On a side note I would consider trying white text with a black stroke rather than black with white. It might be more readable.

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    What is the desert rose bit? And the part labeled "???"

I looked up desert rose and it says it is either a flower or a special formation of gypsum/baryite (which looks pretty).

Also I noticed there doesn't appear to be an entrance. And does the fact they are humanoid cats influence the architecture much?

On a side note I would consider trying white text with a black stroke rather than black with white. It might be more readable.

yeah, thanks for the text advice. Since I know what it all is, I didn't really need to "read" it, just see it. I'll make some changes to that!

As far as Desert Rose goes, it's actually a tree, I named it Desert Rose temporarily because I used rose petals to fill the pond where the tree is. I need to come up with a better name, because after I named it, I had Desert Rose by Sting stuck in my head for about three days straight! Gah! The middle is supposed to be a graveyard that's overfilled, and now it's just a "garden" of sorts.

There is an entrance on the North East hallway area, sort of, but yeah it's not terribly obvious and realistically they'd probably have two entrances.

the architecture and stuff is definitely influenced by the fact that they're cat people. I tried to go towards Egyptian style architecture, being long descendants of Bast, and their home being on a river delta in a mountain. So some sort of combination of Egyptian and Tibetan style architecture, that's what I was going for.

Definitely needs some polishing, thanks for your comment! Gave me lots of food for thought.