Thread: Ming's Lair: WIP drawn on scrap of sail

Wip Ming's Lair: WIP drawn on scrap of sail

This is the retreat and stronghold of Capt. Ming; Graybeards agent and operative in the seas of the Orient. Commander of the unassuming, yet fast and sturdy junk, the Dancing Dragon, Ming conducts business, both legitimate and otherwise, on behalf of Graybeard. The two regularly sail to each others hideaways but are rarely seen in each others company, furthering the suspicion that the two are actually the same person.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ming's Lair WIP.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	3.30 MB 
ID:	65408

This is hand drawn on a piece of canvas drop-cloth, which closely approximates the look and feel of a torn scrap of sail, salvaged from a sinking ship. Using felt tip markers was challenging, as the canvas was quite porous and if the pen tip was held on the material too long, it would just soak into the cotton. This made fine lines nigh to impossible. it measures 11"x15".

The comments with Meshon on my bamboo roll-up map got me thinking about trying to make this one work. Getting close now.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

I love this! I remember thinking that idea was super cool when you mentioned it in your other thread, I'm glad to see it happen!

cheers,
    Meshon

Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    I love this! I remember thinking that idea was super cool when you mentioned it in your other thread, I'm glad to see it happen!

cheers,
    Meshon
    Thank you much Meshon. So much fun to come up with these, and then to realize them. My 6 year old daughter loved it so much she asked for the map I'm doing for her of Tropico Island to be on canvas instead of bamboo. I'll get the finished Ming's Lair posted, then put up the WIP of the new on.
    keep on mappin'.