Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Overworld in Photoshop

Good suggestions, Someguy. I'll do my best to justify myself:

You're right - the ocean and spiders have nothing in common. It's named "The Spider Sea" because its rivers branch out through the entire world like a spider's legs (This Kingdom is merely 1/4 or 1/6 of the world - the rest is mostly to the East). IMO, "Bay of the Reaper" is located at the Northern river delta, where it was traditionally less populated and home to pirates (pirate society embodies the "reap what you sow/take what you can" mentality. stories would have come up about all the death in those parts, but i can change it. It is a fantasy map, after all). The attached image kind of is a sketch of what I envision the whole world to be... I might not ever map it, though. Seems like a big undertaking.

You're right about Mothica sounding out of place. I just kind of threw it on there, and Minirath is a great suggeston. Thanks!

And yes, GP, some of your comments are surprisingly accurate (Cordell was supposed to be the last place founded here (or, last place permanently conquered at least) and shouldn't have much of an effect on the names. But I don't have anybody to play with and have the freedom to toy around with the names as I wish.

Thanks all. I'll be back in a few days with an update because I've got some 12-hour shifts to take care of.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sketch.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	6074  
    Last edited by Pank.HQ; 08-20-2008 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pank.HQ View Post
    But I don't have anybody to play with and have the freedom to toy around with the names as I wish.
    Hay, if you wan't to take part in a BPEM game, I'd be glad to GM it.

Wip

OK! I know I've been taking a while, but I've had to weave in my mapmaking between work shifts. So here's my update... I'm not sure where to go from here. I've drawn and coloured every hill, mountain, and tree individually... but I can make changes quickly.

Oh, and Someguy, thanks for the offer but my schedule doesn't really allow me to commit to Play-by-email games. I've tried in the past and have had to back out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MothicaProject4.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	424.4 KB 
ID:	6183  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think it's quite good, if I had to 'pick' on anything it's that the font face is...well kind of plain. But, that's more of a personal preference than anything. Certainly not worth changing anything over.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I really love this map! It's simple and effective (I like the font). What I like most about it is that this style of mapping has almost been exclusively taken over by Campaign Cartographer, but with the exception of the town symbols, this map doesn't scream 'Here be Campaign Cartographer symbols'. What is interesting to me is that all your text is horizontal (none curved) and it still really works. I do think that you could shoot for some variation to the town symbols though, just enough so that they don't look like carbon copies of each other if you're going for that hand drawn effect.

For me the map is compact, pleasing and complete. I can't think of anything to add to the map which would improve it, or to take away from the map which would not destroy it. Great work! I could really see this published in a book.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Clean, concise, and overall, well done. I second Ravs and SGs compliments. Has a bit of an old school feel to it as well.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

This looks very good. I like the style, it has a very nice artistic look to it.

Thanks for the comments everyone . I'm glad to have such a warm welcome and great advice accompanying my first WIP on the site. I'm taking your last comments into consideration and making some small changes, but overall, I'm very happy with my first map and could never have dreamed of creating that without everyone on these boards to look up to

Thanks again for the feedback, and I'll hopefully be trying out some new styles soon.

Guild Journeyer

That's a beautiful map. I don't care for the font, but the map is great.

Although I think giant marine devil-spiders would be cooler...

When I saw the earlier drafts of this map, I was concerned about the width of the rivers (as were you), but with the city symbols and labels, they appear to be just perfect. They're not realistic in scale, but neither is anything else, and I think that works. You've done a very good job, and it makes me want to jump into a game of 7th Sea.

I'm looking forward to seeing what else you come up with, and definitely take a look at the Collaborative World Building Project (CWBP)!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12