Thread: New Campaign World Map - Just getting Started

Guild Novice

Wip New Campaign World Map - Just getting Started

Well after playing around for a few weeks, reading and trying some of the great tutorials on the site I have my first image I'm using as the basis for a new campaign map I'm developing for my new 3.5 D&D campaign I hope to be starting in the near future.

I'm doing my work in Photoshop CS3. So far I have a single large continent with a few islands as my starting location. Specifically I plan to develop the area around the inland sea first as a city located on the southern edge is where the party will be starting.

The only things I have generated so far are the land shapes and basic ideas for where hills, mountains, light forests , heavy forests and larger lakes will be.

It feels like to me I have a bit to much forest / jungle coverage so far and have been slowly removing and shrinking those some but wanted to see what people thought before I went to far? All of the shapes were generated using the clouds and level adjustment methods to get random sizes and locations.

Just in case its not clear here is a basic key...
    Black = open grasslands / plains / TBD
    Light Green* = light forest / jungle
    Dark Green = heavy forest / jungle
    Light Gray = foothills / low mountains
    Dark Gray - mountains

* I lowered the opacity on some of the forests to be able to see the gray of the hills below them.

Please let me know what you think so far and suggestions on dealing with rivers and where some wastelands might fit well would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read and look it over.

JD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map-I.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	176.7 KB 
ID:	6225  
    Last edited by JDragon; 08-25-2008 at 09:07 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

It's an interesting and good start. As for having to much forest/jungle, well that kind of depends on the climate you are planning. If its a sub-tropic/tropical rain forest idea then I don't think its to much.

As for the wastelands, not really sure. Some of the folks here are well-versed on the whole climate/geography stuff, so I'm sure one of them will give you some insight for that.

Do some experimenting and post the results, let us comment/give feedback.

Looking forward to see where you take this.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

Thanks.

So far nothing is really written in stone for much of the map at this point.

As I mentioned in the OP I plan for the campaign to start and focus in the area around the large lake on the western half of the continent. I expect it to be a temperate area that would get small amounts of snow every few years at the lower elevations.

As for the rest, I think with the size I have made it I should have some options available to me.

I'll post more maps as I make progress, I have a plot / history aspect I'm trying to work in first before I make any more decisions on the layout of the map.

I'll explain those when I have a map to go with it. :-)

JD