Page 14 of 61 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: The Köppen–Geiger climate classification made simpler (I hope so)

I think this is what you are looking for. http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...l=1#post277812

Guild Journeyer Guild Supporter mbartelsm's Avatar

Must've missed it, thanks!

I made this biome placement tutorial as a follow up of this guide. To help people interested in defining their biomes as well as their climates.

I will now begin working on formatting this guide into a pdf and will post again when finished.
    Last edited by mbartelsm; 02-06-2016 at 04:18 PM.

Hey there! Been a while!

So, now that the actual climate step is done, what's next?

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious Mapmaker XXIII View Post
    Hey there! Been a while!

So, now that the actual climate step is done, what's next?
    There is nothing else planned except maybe polishing the existing tutorial.
    And there was also the biomes right after the climates.

Other things I considered implementing but were bad ideas:
    type of soil (strongly correlated to climates but I don't see why someone would bother with this)
    population density (the correlation between climates and density is really weak)

I assume that "polishing" includes compiling the whole tutorial into one document? Or at least a more easy-to-look up format?

Anyways, I love your work on this tutorial, and look forward to using it for my own world.

Okay, normally I'd never even consider double posting, but this thing's dropped to nearly the bottom of the second page of this forum.

In any case, anything new to report with this? Thanks.

Hi Azelor,

Thank you for such a wonderful tutorial. I'm doing my best to follow it, though I admit I'm sure it will take quite a few tries before I can get something precise (since I'm so new to this).

I'm running into a problem with the final (climate) step and the script. When I load it up in Photoshop, it loads as a folder with various sub-actions, like this:

Name:  climateScript.png
Views: 959
Size:  11.0 KB

I'm not sure if that's how it's supposed to be loaded (I'm using CS6 if that makes a difference) but when I run the individual actions step-by-step, it doesn't seem to be behaving properly. I end up with an outline of my land in an icy blue color and a green square in the upper left hand side.

I'm sure I must be doing something wrong. If you might have any insight into what that might be I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Yes it is supposed to be like that for the moment. I planned to merge the different sections after people tested it. In the meantime, I keep it that way as it makes it easier to see if one step is not working properly.

It's not easy to identify the problem. If you could upload on image taken at the end of each step, I might be able to figure it out.

Thanks so much for the response, Azelor. And that makes sense about keeping the actions separate to make debugging easier.

After playing around with it some more, I believe the quirkiness I was experiencing was due to user error on my part and not the script. I've been able to get usable results with my last few passes and the most recent one worked flawlessly. Sorry to have sounded the alarm.

Edit:

Actually, I did have one question. The script is producing a color that doesn't match any on the legend. I think it may be Dwb but it's not an exact RGB match. I've attached a snippet of the map with regions of Dfc, Dfb, and the mystery color (which is [35,67,33]). Any idea which one it's supposed to be?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by antillies; 06-21-2016 at 05:47 PM.

It does look like it's the Dwb. Where does it appear on the map/ do you have other areas with this color?

Page 14 of 61 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast