Page 8 of 61 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: The Köppen–Geiger climate classification made simpler (I hope so)

Ha yes, the "convergent" systems. They are the green bands on the map above. (more or less)

Amazing work Azelor.
    I can't wait to see the last steps of your tutorial.

Btw, what are the red areas in your last map ?

Hey, Azelor! It's been a while.

How are things going with this tutorial? What are you working on now, and what do you plan to do next?

Hey, so I've been going through the tut for my continent/world to get a nice and detailed map for the 100th time, that's my plan at least. I get very lost at the temp part, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing. I assume it's more or less like it is for pixies tut with different values and variables, right? It's not very easy to follow at that part.

Btw, what are the red areas in your last map ?
    These are the high pressure systems. For simplicity, it's the same thing as the withe areas.

How are things going with this tutorial? What are you working on now, and what do you plan to do next?
    I haven't worked on it a lot recently. I'm finishing the temperature that I might post today.
    I've also done some work of the precipitations. That's the next and hopefully, the penultimate step.

Hey, so I've been going through the tut for my continent/world to get a nice and detailed map for the 100th time, that's my plan at least. I get very lost at the temp part, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing. I assume it's more or less like it is for pixies tut with different values and variables, right? It's not very easy to follow at that part.

Are you referring to this post? http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...l=1#post281530

It should be numbered 5.2 but wasn't because it is not finished. I'M working on it.
    Last edited by Azélor; 12-11-2015 at 04:33 PM.

Step 5 part 2: temperature placement

Color key reminder

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	COLOR TEMP.png 
Views:	1463 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	79531

Tips:

• It might not be a good idea to paint the temperatures and precipitations too precisely. The combination of the temperature and precipitation maps can give odd overlapping climates at some places.
    • With the select tool, never select anti-alias.
    • With the continental influences, the color bands tend to be pulled toward the equator in winter but toward the pole in summer because the land is more affected by temperature changes.
    • The mix of hot and cold waters at mid latitudes: You need to bend the temperatures bands. Increase in winter and decrease in summer their temperature slightly compared to the surrounding. See Eastern Canada or Northern Japan.

See graphic, it's easier to follow:

Name:	zone temp.png 
Views:	1840 
Size:	246.5 KB 
ID:	79727

Details on extreme temperatures:

Winter temperature placement:

*Take the second value for a very large continent

• Turquoise: If there is an exchange of water north-south near the coast, its turquoise instead of blue
    • Blue: appear on large landmasses above 50-55 but not on east/west coasts until 70. With a hot current the maximum could be 80-85. The coasts of a sea of ice or a closed sea are going to be blue above 50.
    • Purple: it is usually in the center of a large blue area.

Summer temperature placement:

• Dark orange: not over 40 near ocean, unless it’s a close one.
    • Red: normally between 20 and 35 but can go below 10 with dry conditions. It’s never close to the seas above 30, unless it’s a closed sea.Not near cold or mild waters.
    • Dark red: surrounded by a large red area. Low elevation.

Antarctica seems slightly colder than the model.

Instructions

• Ideally, do only one season and one hemisphere at a time to avoid confusion.
    • Select 1 zone/influence at a time and paint using the graphic above.
    • Do dark red, red, blue and purple (extreme temperatures) after the others because they have specific guidelines.
    • Ignore the altitude for now, but consider that the mountains limit heat exchange.
    • Altitude layers: 1 for each 1000m. See below.
    • Some minor corrections.

Adjustments

• Fill the gaps if any.
    • Make sure that you don’t skip a temperature layer when it was necessary to add one.
    • Plains have smooth transition.
    • Temperature and altitude are never a perfect match because we use 1000m chuncks.

Attitude:

Name:	altitude temp graph.png 
Views:	1368 
Size:	387.1 KB 
ID:	78225

The picture shows the different temperature categories at different altitude. Ideally, this is just a guideline.
    Later you will need to make adjustment in order to have a transition between zones.

Example: Mexico

Name:	MEX1234.png 
Views:	718 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	78226

1. Here we have the default map without the elevation factored in (The area selected)
    2. The second map shows the modification at 1000m for the dark orange area
    3. The third map adds the modification for the orange area north of the first

The fourth map shows how to try to make things more harmonious, by expanding the cold temperature south. Ideally, we should mostly focus on the center of the area because that where we should expect the highest altitude.

Final results:

January

Name:	jan tempfinal.png 
Views:	1140 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	78264

July

Name:	jul tempfinal.png 
Views:	984 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	78263
    Last edited by Azélor; 07-01-2017 at 01:23 PM. Reason: improved the color key

So I went through and did a temp map of summer, I need to redo it. I made a few mistakes, one very large mistake too. I have an area the size of texas that is >35 C which makes no sense, don't know what I was thinking. One thing you may want to go back and include the temp instead of/or with the color designation instead of just orange dark orange red dark red. The biggest problem I had was the dark orange, red, dark red etc. It started to get confusing which color you were talking about.

I like this new step Azelor, however, i agree with ascanius.
    Colors for temperatures are great, but adding figures woul help a lot.

Btw, i don't know if you know this site, it's really amazing and could help understanding climate and making a realistic climate map.
    To access the options (temperature, winds, humidity,etc... all per altitude), just press "earth".
    http://earth.nullschool.net/#2015/12...l/orthographic

Quote Originally Posted by ascanius View Post
    So I went through and did a temp map of summer, I need to redo it. I made a few mistakes, one very large mistake too. I have an area the size of texas that is >35 C which makes no sense, don't know what I was thinking. One thing you may want to go back and include the temp instead of/or with the color designation instead of just orange dark orange red dark red. The biggest problem I had was the dark orange, red, dark red etc. It started to get confusing which color you were talking about.
    You mean I should say, very cold, cold, hot... instead of using the colours? I thought it would be less confusing to use the latter.
    Or that I should indicate the names of each colours to avoid confusion?
    Last edited by Azélor; 12-13-2015 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    You mean I should say, very cold, cold, hot... instead of using the colours? I thought it would be less confusing to use the latter.
    Or that I should indicate the names of each colours to avoid confusion?
    Me personally I think just using the temp range would be better, like over 35C, 28 to 35C etc. You could do severely hot, very hot and the others too and it would work just as well, using numbers are just my personal taste. Don't get me wrong I like the use of the color key you supplied but with the way it is now I cannot tell which dark orange your referring too. By the way you also have 10 colors for the elevation key but only 8, unless I counted wrong, for the other first key.

Page 8 of 61 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast