Thread: Verden Empire and Regional map of Kaivos - Want feedback

Default Verden Empire and Regional map of Kaivos - Want feedback

Hi there, fairly new on this forum. I've created maps for some times in my life, but I never was satisfied with it. I never used a software other than Inkarnate and I didn't like it at first (I plan to give it a second chance) so I use the old style : pen and paper. I would like a feedback on my world map (if the mountains/rivers/forest are well placed, the general shape, etc.). The two colorless maps are the world map, the colored one is the map of Kaivos, the northern most region of the world map.

I always wanted to do a series of novels in my world, but the shape of it never satisfied me and I would like your help to upgrade it. I want the world map to be size of the european continent but, sometimes, I feel the scale of things is off. Like my mountains are too big or too small, especially when you compare the world map and the Kaivos region.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	verden1.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	3.80 MB 
ID:	136982

Name:	verden2.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	3.43 MB 
ID:	136983

Name:	kaivos1.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	5.93 MB 
ID:	136984

I am also a novice here (and into mapmaking), Cradlis, so I don't know if I will be able to help much. First I liked your coloring, simple but good, the gradients and all. As for the mountain size, I don't really know it. I mean, you made then as in topographic maps and those usually have a legend in order to indicate de altitudes that each line represents. So each line in your map represent a difference of how much altitude, a 100, a 200 meters? I would start by thinking about it, look here is a link that may help: https://digitalatlas.cose.isu.edu/geog/basics/topo.htm

Also they show this example:

Name:	Captura de tela 2024-02-02 151539.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	174.8 KB 
ID:	136985

Guild Member Facebook Connected sarawinter's Avatar

Wow! You've got a lot of detail. Very nice
    I'm grappling with the same issues, trying to make a continent and the scale right... and I am not an expert in any way.
    I've been looking a bit at tectonic plate movements, climate zones, and how rivers and lakes are formed. There is a lot of that kind of info on YouTube.
    It's tough to get it right and I have to remind myself that it does not have to be perfect.
    Ink_alpinist's comment about elevation is a good place to start, and if you look at topographical maps of Europe you might get some ideas, for both mountains rivers and lakes.