Thread: Cartophile

Guild Novice Facebook Connected
    Fort George G Mead Junction, Maryland, United States

Wip Cartophile

Hello all!

Long time artist here, since back in the 80's when I'd sit at my Little Tikes art desk and draw out maps in crayon and dream of pirates and adventurers crossing ancient seas, to the days in High School when I'd fill the last few minutes of each class scribbling a fractal terrain and filling in some mountains with shade. I've always loved maps, but never really understood why. I can't even tell people simple directions without breaking out the pen and paper that I always have on hand.

But I found an outlet, and I'd like to share with those that seem to have this same beautiful sickness; the need to take what we see and explain it to other the way that we see it. I'll be posting here every few days as I am currently setting up another campaign for a table-top RPG, (another love of mine, DMing). A lot has changed over the years, including my tools, but I'd like to think that my style has remained somewhat constant. We all need to change in order to progress, so I'm always looking for criticism.

I submit for review both a map old, (from my first campaign in 2001) and the one I am working on now, (about 1/2 complete).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old Map.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	788.6 KB 
ID:	65944Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map Now.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	65945

-Yenski

Welcome to the Guild, nice map to start off with.

Welcome to the Guild Yenski! That map you are working on now looks gorgeous! I would love to see a bigger version of it.

Unfortunately, I forgot the first rule of cartography, and that is the client! The map I am making is for an upcoming RPG, and the players are explorers working for a local baron. The detail in the map needs to be scaled down quite a bit, so I've decided to go with a much more hand-drawn feel. I'll load the maps in the WIP section this weekend. PS: Thanks!

Welcome Yenski,

I am new here too. Nice maps, I particularly like the multiple ray-lines on the second map. Nice map key as well... I am still trying to figure out the style I want to go with for my current map keys.

-Josh H

One thing I've noticed is the use of ray-lines as an adornment, rather than an actual navigational tool. From what I understand, it's a shortcut and heavily travelled routes have pre-set coordinates drawn in, to aide in navel navigation. Perhaps I am wrong.

Nice map...that southern one has a bit of an ouroboros vibe to it...I approve...