Hey everyone!

I've been quite the admirer of this site for a long time, frequenting it to view the amazing maps you all have created, gain inspiration, and read tutorials. A year or so ago I started playing D&D for the first time (though how this just happened at 23 I will never know). Shortly after my introduction I started to create an idea for a campaign. The players would all be parts of a thieves guild who are trying to establish a new foothold in a city they once had influence in. The concept was that the city would be incredibly wealthy, and during it's peak of prosperity and law, the initial guild were kicked out. While the city remains to be incredibly wealthy, decades (if not more) have brought corruption back into the city. While nowhere near a ruthless town, it's enough that the guild believes it is time to settle back in.

So, the key question I asked myself is, "How is this city so wealthy? And why would the campaign world exist in just one city?" This is the concept I've created. A cliff wall borders the western coast of the main continent and goes on for hundreds of miles. It takes months for ships to make trips around the cliffs, yet our city has a solution. Sitting on a convenient plateau with a river running through and over the cliff, the city created a canal system to bring even large galleons up onto the plateau to then travel up river, cutting travel by months. The city does well for itself charging tolls to use the canal system, though to most merchants and captains, it's well worth the gold.

I'll be posting a quick sketch of some plans and hope to have everyone discuss ideas, give me insight on developing the map, and more.

I'm very excited for this project!

-Flatfoot