Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: [CWBP2] World Map construction thread

The math for the second star should be right. And it pretty much should just be a constant 9 K increase for the whole planet. Doing some sketches, sometimes the second star would cause seasons to be more mild, sometimes more extreme. It would go on a very slow cycle though. Hundreds of years if not longer for it to change from extreme to mild (per hemisphere). Given how minor the change is, it's probably best to just ignore it except for "cool second star in the sky" kind of stuff.
    “What is a fantasy map but a space beyond which There Be Dragons? On the Discworld we know that There Be Dragons Everywhere. They might not all have scales and forked tongues, but they Be Here all right, grinning and jostling and trying to sell you souvenirs. ”
    ~~ Terry Pratchett

- My fantasy gamebook
    - My old Traveller actual play podcast
    - My upcoming DND cloak and dagger actual play podcast

I'm going to do some analysis for the precipitation map to verify that it's not so bad. Combined with the temperature
    By continent:

North east:

The south shore:
    January: very wet
    cool to cold
    July: moderate
    very hot to hot (it is at 30 degrees latitude after all)
    the climate is classified Csa (more or less) (nice, the climate falls into an area that I considered impossible in terms of precipitations)
    But the localization make sense

West shore:
    Jan: moderate (due to the orographic lift effect)
    cold to very cold (mountains are colder)
    Jul: wet (polar front)
    warm to mild
    Dwb/Dwc (even if these climates are usual found in the west ?)

East shore
    Jan: moderate/wet
    very cold to severely cold
    Jul: low
    mild to cool
    Dsc (again it should be the opposite, maybe it's because of the mountains ?)

Bay
    Jan: dry/low depending on the area
    cold
    Jul: dry
    warm
    cold desert Bwk (hum, I guess)

Interior
    Jan: dry
    under -25
    Jul: dry (very wet in the west)
    mild to cool at lower altitudes, always under 0 at higher altitudes
    Dfc/Dfd at lower altitude, Ice cap elsewhere

Ok I can confirm that the temperature table is working well but the precipitation table is still awful.

About the water I had a idea for some time. It a possible series of natural/human made canals for navigation. Some are more plausible than others
    Attachment 66748

I finished cleaning up the map (Some parts where blurry, not anymore). And added some details.

Png version:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CWBP2 landmasses clean.png 
Views:	162 
Size:	470.3 KB 
ID:	66750
    Last edited by Azélor; 06-30-2015 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    Next I will clean up the elevation map and improved it at the same time. i dont plan adding more elements, just make it look more pleasant.
    Attachment 66753
    Go for it if you enjoy doing so, but it seem labourious for something not really necessary.

Alright here's the watersheds and rivers. The watershed is indicated by the light blue line, water flows away from this and eventually towards the ocean. The thick deep blue line indicate expected major rivers. Again these represent areas a hundred kilometres across at least, so while the rivers can be found within these areas, they do not conform to the area. Nor does it represent a limitation on rivers, just expected major ones, there could easily be major rivers not indicated, and doubtless will be many regular rivers all over the damn place.

Name:	wtershed with overlay.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	737.0 KB 
ID:	66761

The clean PNG:

Name:	maj river_wtershed.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	388.8 KB 
ID:	66762

Edit: I relize I forgot to account for Wilbur's tendancy to keep everything seperate, some rivers might have joined up earlier. I'll look at it when I get home.
    Last edited by Falconius; 08-19-2014 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Alright here's the watersheds and rivers. The watershed is indicated by the light blue line, water flows away from this and eventually towards the ocean. The thick deep blue line indicate expected major rivers. Again these represent areas a hundred kilometres across at least, so while the rivers can be found within these areas, they do not conform to the area. Nor does it represent a limitation on rivers, just expected major ones, there could easily be major rivers not indicated, and doubtless will be many regular rivers all over the damn place.

Name:	wtershed with overlay.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	737.0 KB 
ID:	66761

The clean PNG:

Name:	maj river_wtershed.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	388.8 KB 
ID:	66762

Edit: I relize I forgot to account for Wilbur's tendancy to keep everything seperate, some rivers might have joined up earlier. I'll look at it when I get home.
    Not bad, it's pretty close to my expectations.

It does look pretty. You where wondering why the north east was so dry. Heck, it's probably higher than the Himalaya. Let's call it the mountain continent. (But in another language ideally)
    Attachment 66791

Wooho, my 1000th post !

You need development for names and details of races and cities? I'd love to help out somehow.

That is looking good, it may just be worth the extra effort you are putting in.

Corilliant, you are welcome to develop whatever you wish for the world in whatever capacity, be it stories, civilizations, or even a lists of names for a country. I might suggest that you start a new thread for each module you wish to develop with the tag "CWBP 2" in the beginning of the thread title. For example: "CWBP 2: The History of Heurvale and its Environs" or "CWBP 2: A Brief Summery of Plaje; A Guide Book" or "CWBP 2: The Fluara and Fauna of Gaster" etc. Also include the plot number in brackets eg. "CWBP 2: The History of Heurvale and its Environs (4)" The same will be done for mapping development threads eg "CWBP 2: Map of Gaster (6)" where "(6)" indicates the plot number.

Keep in mind the rough guidelines which still have not been collated into a brief, but which can be found in these threads: http://www.cartographersguild.com/co...our-world.html, http://www.cartographersguild.com/co...echnology.html, http://www.cartographersguild.com/co...genre-era.html, http://www.cartographersguild.com/co...p-project.html
    Some of these (such as my neglected overview thread may be out of date so try and take note of the post date. Also keep in mind that if you want to apply your changes to a specific area of the map, you should claim that plot for development even if you are not making a map of it, and then when done it will be released for mapping with your information attached. ie if you claim plot 4 and write background for it but don't map it, the information will be tagged to plot 4 so if someone comes in to map it they use your information to form the country.

Also keep in mind that plot size ideally should be kept around 5oo km square give or take a few hundred (actually its the upper limit we'd like to maintain, people may develop plots as small as they wish). That too should be reflected in the information developed for plots, so information is geared specifically for a territory, as opposed to general continent or world wide information.

Speaking of plots I think its time that we should open up the map for the land grab, Azelor.

It's okay to post here in the Guild as long as it's related to mapping. But once we get into world description, I'm not sure we should continue to post it here. It might become inappropriate to post a large number of messages unrelated to cartography.

Luckily we have a wiki (kinda) CWBP2 Wiki

I'm not sure how reliable it is, so I suggest that we keep the mapping part here.

Climats, WIP, comments welcome: for mountains, I'll just put alpine biome, vegetation depends on altitude
    Attachment 66796
    Attachment 66797

Elevation, with only 1 missing continent. The gray line shows the maximum tundra extent, on low altitude.
    Attachment 66798
    Attachment 66799

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast