Attachment 66321

thoughts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Co-op proposal.png 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	66326Attachment 66320

Just so's I can see what's happening...

To me the new land mass is too large and too samey, in effect it duplicates what is already covered in the Western (your map) large land mass. In addition it severly lessens the amount of coast line. With this proposal I count like 4 or so usable continents. With the previous one I count like 6. I think we should be looking to increase the amount of mapping opportunities which I think have been limited in the new version.

Name:	New prop likes.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	170.6 KB 
ID:	66327
    The areas circled in red are the ones I really like. I flipped the map horizontally to see what it looked like and that really long north south coast really bugs me. The long islands look really out of place having lost their continent. They need to be moved or deleted. Let me see what I can hack together tonight.

I'm looking to get this stuff done by the end of the week, and will pretty much approve whatever it is we have by then whether I think its good or bad. I suggest we all adopt this attitude in the interests of moving forward.

I think I understand your point. Your saying that mapping opportunities arise only along the coasts?

Maybe we could include more bays deeper inland or split the continent. Maybe it was a large super continent but now it's drifting ?

I liked the idea of the long islands but your right, now they are just popping out of nowhere. Maybe we could put them next to their sister continent and move the other one a bit.
    Last edited by Azélor; 08-05-2014 at 02:47 PM.

Coasts aren't the only mapping opportunities, but they are more superficially compelling and perhaps will help make entry into the project easier. For this project I think they are worthwhile to maximize a little.

I also like the long islands and would be happy to include them. Here is where I am at right now:

Name:	New Co-op proposal Edit1.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	859.6 KB 
ID:	66328

It look pretty good. Maybe some minor corrections here and there but I'm mostly satisfied with that.

Maybe id move the continent in the north closer to the center to balance the east-west landmasses.

I tried to play around with the tectonic plates but I have no idea on how to place them. It depend where we want to have mountains I guess.
    Last edited by Azélor; 12-11-2014 at 10:39 AM.

Alright I'll try and clean it up a little and then find somewhere to share it uncompressed.

These islands look good but we just need to place them at a place that make sense. Probably near the limit of a plate?

I placed the southernmost islands in the east near the south and central continent to what I suspect could be a transform boundaries : Plate tectonics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The fault line goes into the water and create steep canyons on both sides... As we move westward, the southern part breaks into smaller and smaller islands, making it possible for boats to navigate.

I also compressed the south part to make it look less crappy when changing projection.

Here's the proposition:
    Attachment 66347

To share it, I think it's best to use either dropbox or google drive. The best would be something that multiple people can modify.

I like that.

According to my poor understanding of the histogram on a sinusoidal projection of that we have 75 % water which seems good to me. I was actually going to suggest we increase the sea area between the two "halves" of the world but given that we are already 75% I don't think it's a good idea. My concern was exploration, but according to my calculations the closest piece of lands between the half's is like 3000 km apart, which is more than acceptable in terms of difficulty.

Yes I was thinking dropbox but have never used it and so am unfamiliar with the specifics of how we would share with it.

Edit: There are also a hell of a lot of islands as a result of my messy editing. Should we remove them or leave them?
    Edit2: Given your image is at the top resolution I think we can just use that and clean up the land edges do you have one without the notes?
    Last edited by Falconius; 08-06-2014 at 02:06 PM.

Just a really quick scribble for tectonics suggestion: blue lines are faults red arrows direction of moment on edge.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tectonics suggestions1.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	66348

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post

According to my poor understanding of the histogram on a sinusoidal projection of that we have 75 % water which seems good to me. I was actually going to suggest we increase the sea area between the two "halves" of the world but given that we are already 75% I don't think it's a good idea. My concern was exploration, but according to my calculations the closest piece of lands between the half's is like 3000 km apart, which is more than acceptable in terms of difficulty.
    75% Is lower than what we have on Earth so maybe we could increase it a little. It used to be higher but some islands got deleted and moving landmasses closer to the poles also lower it.

3000 KM and the closest islands are easy to miss without sufficient knowledge of the area.

About the archipelagos, one of them appear 2 times. Do you prefer 1 or 2? They can be modified to match with the rest. We can keep both but one of them will have to be modified.

Edit: There are also a hell of a lot of islands as a result of my messy editing. Should we remove them or leave them?
    I wasn't sure what was the purpose. I guess we need islands but I'm not sure where to put them. Maybe small islands should be left for later, or for the individual mappers to decide. For sure, putting islands everywhere is not realistic. We need deep waters not just shallow oceans. But as weird as it sounds, making good islands is not always easy. Especially if you need a lot. We could keep them on a separate layer.

Edit2: Given your image is at the top resolution I think we can just use that and clean up the land edges do you have one without the notes?

No, right now my image is the same you used at first. It's in 72 DPI. To make it at 300 dpi you either need to make the map smaller by 4.16 times and then change resolution to 300 (that will stretch back to original pixel dimension with a huge loss in quality) or do another one from scratch (it's what I intended to do anyway). Also, I'm surprised that the map appear normally here since 50 megapixels exceed the limit. I guess that the resolution is also considered.
    At 300 DPI, we could go up to 7700 by 3850.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast