Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [CWBP2] Question Regarding Ownership

Default [CWBP2] Question Regarding Ownership

It is my assumption that anything we do that is collaboratively decided belongs to the group collectively. What of the things we do independently without input from the others?

I'm asking because I like the two civilizations I've created so far and would like to incorporate them into my own personal project.

I'm not sure I understand you question. You want to incorporate these two civs into your personal project and in the CWBP ?

Anyway, it's good to have a template and to work on some ideas but avoid getting into details since the world has not been decided yet.

Hehe, I understand your feelings.

I'd say that everything being done for the finished maps and worldbuilding modules fall under a creative commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike (CC BY-NC-SA) license. Meaning that if you really like your things and you want full use of them for your own stuff and to own them completely you should withdraw them and keep them for your own projects. The reason being that it would limit what you could do with your own worlds, as these portions of it would fall under that license. If however you intend your own world to also fall under that license there is no conflict and you could use it in both projects. I recommend against this however, my feeling is that you should try to have things for this project separate from things for your own just to keep things simple and to avoid frustration farther down the line.

Falconius, the only problem with the licence BY-NC-SA is that he could not sell a product made with that content (NC).

I think that using the same content could create some logical problems, it might not be in harmony with the rest of the world unless it's a modified version.

Blog Entries

Wouldn't that prevent, say... if you developed a game or wrote a book based on your own personal world... and one of the civilizations your world started with was one from the project... you wouldn't be able to market your work, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    Falconius, the only problem with the licence BY-NC-SA is that he could not sell a product made with that content (NC).

I think that using the same content could create some logical problems, it might not be in harmony with the rest of the world unless it's a modified version.
    Also that it would be open to be shared. I just think it is better for the project and the people contributing to keep things separate to avoid any unforeseen disharmony. I'm also not sure what is the best license for us to operate under, but the BY NC SA one looked like it would fit our needs best. So if anyone has better suggestions I'm all for it.

Blog Entries

The original CWBP was CC with BY-SA-NC that meant that any map that used another one in the CWBP as a basis - as in the main world map - would fall under the CC license and therefore you cannot then use it commercially. You can mark out an area of the main map, ask the forum mods to reserve that area and then make your entirely own commercial product which notionally sits there but it should not use any of the original CC licensed material. Also, its possible that the mods to the CWBP might not like that kind of arrangement. But thats up to the consensus of the people who are doing it. But generally if you use CC licensing for the CWBP (and I was very much for this idea in first CWBP) then thats the way it is - non commercial. Basically whats being asked is whether one can sell other peoples work which was submitted under the understanding (and legal license) that it would not be. So no.

Let me clarify that post two above by Jalyha. If you used ALL your own material then you own all the copyright to it. If you use some of the work previously submitted by other people (which includes the shape of the main world map) then its not ALL your own work any more. So if your map has to fit in with the rivers, mountains and other shapes within the CWBP framework then it using parts of the map which are not yours to sell commercially.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 01-31-2014 at 06:01 AM.

Blog Entries

I see. So... if I had a con-race that I've already created/used in my unfinished stories, and I posted/let them put it in the CWBP, I could still publish my books with that race in it.

BUT if I incorporated the land/cities they live in *IN* the CWBP, or developments made to the race by other members here, then I could not use that. Right?
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Blog Entries

Yes that would be the case. You should still be somewhat careful tho. People should have the expectation that if they are doing a community world building project then the expectation is that at the end they could share everything. If someone else took your race and did some work on it and then released it with some maps and bundled it all up as CC BY-SA-NC then the next person would reasonably think that everything in that package was CC. So I think if you are going to let people use your work you should release it as CC for the project. Since your the original owner of the first entity then you can release your own work in many ways. You can use it yourself commercially and also release it as CC. Tho once released as CC you cannot stop people from using the CC version as per the CC rules. So tho non commercial, they could still share it.

What CC is a license that says in effect, tho I own the copyright to the work as I am the original author of it, I am licensing it for the following uses (sharing etc) on condition that it is shared in with the same rights as the original CC (share alike) and that you cannot profit commercially from it. Your work can be licensed as many times in as many different ways as you want so long as its yours to license. The point of the CC is that once marked (and assuming that its validly marked) then it gives people the right to use it in that manner without them having to ask you if they can use it in that manner. Once its out there marked as CC tho and people pick it up like that you cant then retroactively say later - hey my book is doing well but I cant get a publishing deal now cos the publishers want no shared licenses of this work out there so ill take my CC rights back.

But it also means that the CWBP project cannot be copied to another site / forum / company etc and sold for profit legally. There has been numerous, countless examples where public domain material has been hijacked. Just look at the wealth of pictures of 18th century paintings that are copyright because the painting is not copyright but the photo of it that you get to see is and nobody gets to see the original any more. Copyright is clearly written so that if you take a photo of public domain work and you publish that photo then it should be possible to take that photo and republish it. But thats not how the law is interpreted due to extreme corruption. So public domain is worthless now hence CC started so that the rights are still owned but that the automatic grant of use is given with restrictions.

Sorry, I just want to make it very clear: It mean that I can use the content elsewhere for commercial purpose as long as I am the creator of that content?

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast