Thread: Making a map in GIMP

Default Making a map in GIMP

I'm using a map generator (Planet Map Generator) to create the landmasses, and then I am editing it in GIMP to make it a map.*

My first task is to clean the map up, which means I have to make all the land one color, and all the water one color (I can shade later). Unfortunately, all of the skins from the generator account for elevation and the colors use a gradient to show elevation. Which is very nice and wonderful, but it is a pain in the butt to go through and hunt down all the little tiny specks of water and change the color.

Does anyone know of a way in GIMP I can select an entire range of colors in the image and change them all at once?

*I don't currently have regular/easy access to a scanner, otherwise I'd hand draw my maps and then edit in GIMP.

Guild Novice
    Blog Entries

Possibly too late on this, but if you create a new layer, then in the original image do Select > Color, you can select one color all through the image. Simplest thing is to fill that black or white in the new layer, then select another color the same way, fill it, and then you have as many sections as you want all colored the same base color. The new layer can then be used as a mask -- just alpha-to-selection it, invert the selection, and fill with white or black (the opposite). From that point, you can pretty much select or create as you like. Hope that helps.

[EDIT:
    Oh: I just realized that you're looking to select a RANGE of colors. Oops!

If you create a new layer, and select by color the outside edge colors, then fill them with black, you should have a black-outlined thin strip containing everything in between. Invert, fill with white, then use the wand to select the white area inside, and color it black. You should now have the whole area black. You may get little dotted lines here and there to paint out, but this is quick. That whole black area can now be colored as you like.

Hope that works for you.
    Last edited by CAgrippa; 09-17-2014 at 03:39 PM.

Blog Entries

I will have to remake these
    -- they were for Celestia but the gimp one in the internet archive still has a snapshot
    shatters.net ? View topic - (#3)making a planet using " The Gimp "
    the thumbnails will not enlarge

and you will have to build from source the gimp plugin " resynthesizer"