Thread: New Dawn of the West - Expanded & With Colour!

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

Default New Dawn of the West - Expanded & With Colour!

So after I presented the previous map to the players they came back with the following;

1] What happened to the giant whirlpool?

2] We wanted to have other lands to visit!

3] Um hello? Where did the Solani Wastes go?

4] The island idea is cool, but where's the giant mountain range that cuts off the West from the rest of the world?

5] Do you hate colour?

So taking those, and other criticism under consideration I made this newer name of the West, with the eastern lands returned, the Eye of Astara back on track and such.

Again, this particular version of the map is finished, but I already feel the need to tweak it a bit (does that make me a tweaker?) and break up Aquilar (especially the northern part of it) and add in some fjords!

Can't wait to see what the next version looks like and I can't wait to start writing stories in this place... they might even be comics, though I dunno, that costs money for art and I can just bang out paragraphs for free

Speaking of which I have included the backstory of the world for those who are interested in that sort of thing.

Feedback and comments always welcomed!

Cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NDotW-4.gif 
Views:	227 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	65966   A Brief History of the West - Normal Print.pdf  

Well done.

A very comic-y style...i guess it's the colors that make me say that. But i like it overall. I do think that that your mountain-ranges are not range-y enough The mountains are placed too far appart...it looks like a collection of single mountains and does not really transport the "look, here are moutain-ranges" feel.

Now, as a fellow gamer i also have questions

What system do you use?
    Care to tell us a bit about the setting?
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    A very comic-y style...i guess it's the colors that make me say that. But i like it overall.
    Funnily I wasn't exactly going for that, but it came out that way due to colour choice and I think the parchment overlays, but that said I kinda like it

I do think that that your mountain-ranges are not range-y enough The mountains are placed too far appart...it looks like a collection of single mountains and does not really transport the "look, here are moutain-ranges" feel.
    I see your point but for me it gets the message across enough for me to know where the ranges are. I chalk it up to stylistic tastes.

[/QUOTE]Now, as a fellow gamer i also have questions [QUOTE]

Bring 'em!

What system do you use?
    Currently using Savage Worlds, was using various D&D's before and even have used D6 and an awesome system called Arrowflight 2nd Edition, but in the end Savage Worlds scratches the itch for us right now.

Care to tell us a bit about the setting?
    Well there is an attached PDF that gives you a brief (wink, wink) history of the setting, what more would you like to know?

Cheers!

Huh, i totally overlooked the pdf attachment. I will read that, then If any questions come up, i'll let you know

Savage Worlds, i see. Not a fan of the system...but then again, different strokes and all that. Game on!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Guild Apprentice

Really like this, the style is great and something i would like to be able to do. Perfect for D&D.
    One small point - the even colour across all the land doesn't look right to me. I would have thought the Solari wastes would be yellow or at least not green? Other areas could be diff colours aswell.
    Maybe you were just going for blue = sea / green = land ?

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Huh, i totally overlooked the pdf attachment. I will read that, then If any questions come up, i'll let you know

Savage Worlds, i see. Not a fan of the system...but then again, different strokes and all that. Game on!
    I was like you at first, I didn't like Savage Worlds at all, but then I played with a friend who knew it well and I was hooked!

It's a great system that gets out of the way and lets the story flow!

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
    Really like this, the style is great and something i would like to be able to do. Perfect for D&D.
    One small point - the even colour across all the land doesn't look right to me. I would have thought the Solari wastes would be yellow or at least not green? Other areas could be diff colours aswell.
    Maybe you were just going for blue = sea / green = land ?
    Yeah that was essentially it, blue = water/ green = land

I hope to actually commission someone to eventually do a really intense version of it with lots and lots of colours and terrains, etc...

Glad you like it

Well Smithy, I gave it some thought, and since I wanted to add my fjords in the northern part of Aquilar and then put in the volcano and such in Solani, I went ahead and tried giving a "blush" of colour to the map for things like forests, swamps, snowy lands in the far north, waste lands and grasslands. I also dialled down the saturation a scooch to make it "pop" a bit less.

Not 100% sure it turned out right, but it was fun to try.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Dawn of the West Map.gif 
Views:	40 
Size:	2.58 MB 
ID:	66014