Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gotham City Map

Default Gotham City Map

Here's a side project that I just started. My New York map is still one of my most popular pieces, so I thought I'd apply some of those techniques to another map. I am a vendor at a lot of comic book conventions and I figure this piece of fan-art would be a good seller. The goal here is to do a comprehensive map of the Dark Knight's stomping ground, with the exact locations of several landmarks specified.

Also attached is one of the sources of reference I am using.

Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gotham preview.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	237.6 KB 
ID:	65987   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gc6_large.jpg 
Views:	786 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	65988  
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Here's an update with some highways drawn in.

Name:	Gotham preview 2.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	575.1 KB 
ID:	65991  
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Good idea, will you go for a "dark" atmosphere map somehow?

I'm going with a dark, gritty, soiled kind of look to capture the mood. I'm trying to tie in the various different versions of Gotham into one map. The movie version, the classic era comic, and the modern era comic...all are slightly different. Several significant city landmarks have been moved around in each different version of Gotham, while the basic shape of the city has remained the same. I'm trying to combine all the best into one map.

Here is an update. I've fixed the highways some to make them look better and I started drawing in some city blocks.

Name:	Gotham preview 3.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	655.7 KB 
ID:	66013  

My Albums - My Portfolio

Oh, this is such a good idea haha. Looking forward to the progress!

Guild Adept

I am no comic books fan, so I know little or nothing. However, isn't Gotham supposed to be a mega-city, about the size of New York or even larger? Because this does not seem that big, more like Boston (sans suburbs) perhaps.

I'm no expert either, but I think the map is depicting the center part of the city, precisely like "Manhattan" for New York.

It is the main city part, the series of islands that make up a space that is slightly larger than Manhattan. There are some outer boroughs similar to New York, but who really cares about them?

The map is based on several other maps that have been done of Gotham, so I'm really not trying to completely reinvent it, just consolidate the various versions really.

My Albums - My Portfolio

Guild Adept

Ok, but I thought that the Wayne manor was outside the city, certainly it is usually depicted as if it were in a rural landscape, and here it is just outside of the part of the city shown, thus there does not seem to be much space for other boroughs and suburbs and whatnot.

Another update here.

Also posting another map I'm using as reference that was recently in the Batman comic.

Name:	Gotham preview 4.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	766.9 KB 
ID:	66195   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	savage city gotham.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	66196  

My Albums - My Portfolio

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast