Thread: Activision Call of Duty - freelance map gig

Default Activision Call of Duty - freelance map gig

Looks like a third party contracting firm for the video game industry is wanting me to create maps for a tactical guide book for Activision Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. I would be doing maps for the tactical book and possibly for the game itself. I would be the secondary illustrator on this project, doing primarily maps. While this is indeed a freelance gig, I would be required to fly out to Los Angelos to speak with the authors and developers prior to the start of any project, then return home to do the maps. Interestingly the art director for the contracting firm found my maps on G+ and contacted me about the position, rather than me contacting them about a possible job application. They found me.

I've never done video game cartography before, though I cannot imagine it being much different than what I do for tabletop RPG publishers - aside from specific scale, resolution and file formats. This could also be a door opener for other video game company cartography work.

I look forward to see how this pans out!

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-25-2014 at 07:17 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Cirias's Avatar

That's amazing, what an opportunity! So great that these huge companies and their partners do come to cartographers like yourself and others on CG to create maps for their properties.

Huge congratulations, hope everything turns out well!

So its a sure thing now. I will be getting a preliminary job of a couple of maps to do and to see the teamwork needs for working with an editor on this project. The work is actually for a third party contracting firm that does work for multiple gaming properties, though Activision Call of Duty is their most reliable client, though not the only one. I will be expected to produce 20 - 30 maps per season/per project, and the pay is substantially better than what I generally get for tabletop RPG publisher maps.

As an aside, I will also be doing a commission of a 3 decked merchant ship used as the carrying vessel for an Airship, for a new RPG game involving late 19th century and some steampunk for FASA Games.

So I've got some commission work to do.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Well more than just Activision, I knew there were some other games that I might be doing the same thing as Call of Duty. I was told I would also be doing maps for the upcoming Destiny RPG MMO by Bungi, but since I don't play these games, that means nothing to me. I just spoke to a friend who is really into these console games and he told me about Destiny, which quite possibly could outsell Call of Duty. I had been wondering how I could get my foot in the door into the video game industry. Well as it turns out the video game industry found me and doing work for Call of Duty and Destiny, means that I'll be working with the biggest video game properties, ever - Wow!
    DrivethruRPG store

I'm arranging my flight to LA for the Activision Call of Duty map gig, it turns out I'll be out there for 2 weeks. I am very excited about this opportunity!
    DrivethruRPG store

Guild Novice Facebook Connected
    Fort George G Mead Junction, Maryland, United States

Hey, not only that, but Activision just announced that they are setting up their own movie production company. Should you happen to be around at the time, perhaps one of our own, (you) can show your cartographic skills to the world! Keep us updated!

If it seems like I've been quiet lately, its because I'm still doing the maps for Call of Duty. The trip to California was really only for research, that is playing CoD: AW 12 hours a day learning what needs to be mapped. Now I've got a very short deadline to complete all the multi-player maps, using my standard of excellence with photo-realistic maps. Its an impossible deadline, and even asking for an extension already. They basically expect a map a day, ones that normally take me 2 or 3 days to create, but such is the job. I actually work as a freelancer for Brady Games - the US video game industry strategy guide publisher. I'm quiet because I'm spending upwards towards 16 hours a day doing this cartography. Its exhausting, but I am being well paid, so must work on...

I don't even know what day of the week it is. The whole weekend went by without me realizing it was the weekend. Until this commission is complete - time is a relative term. I will get this done!

GP
    DrivethruRPG store