Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Do?

Post How Do?

How do?

I finally joined these forum boards after knowing about them for about 3, 4, 5, or more years.

I have been a cartographer and map collector my entire life, since the age of 7. In fact, when I was 8, I drew a map for a report project in 3rd grade. I was flunked when the teacher accused me of tracing the map. Of course my mom showed the teacher the map I duplicated, but I had also duplicated the map three times its size on the encyclopedia page. The same thing happened the next year when I did North Carolina, but not just the map, but a picture of the flag and state bird. Afterwards, I gave up art. But I continued drawing maps, just for myself.

Needless to say, I am much better at hand drawing maps than I am on the computer. However, there is one type of map I can make much better on computer than by hand: Color Shaded Relief Map.

Although I have never become expert at making maps, I do think I am quite decent. Some recent endeavers.

Please note that these maps are old and are getting redone.

Recently, I acquired Bryce and DAZ Studio and am trying to learn knew methods of making maps by using 3D ray tracers.

Now off to skim through the millions of posts here...

rmfr
    Perhaps imagination is only intelligence having fun. - Albert Einstein

A good friend will come down and bail you out of jail. A best friend will be in jail with you and say, "Dude, we screwed up."

Praise Welcome!

Those are excellent maps!

Welcome to our humble site, from simply just knowing us forever. Looks like you know what you're doing. What software did you use to create those maps?

Plus, hand-drawn? I'd love to see your work, post some of those, please.

Again, welcome!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Those are excellent maps!

Welcome to our humble site, from simply just knowing us forever. Looks like you know what you're doing. What software did you use to create those maps?
    I used a combination of ArcMap, Photoshop, and Paint Shop Pro with a lot of work. Of course, I started with a mess load of USGS DEMs to get some of the reliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Plus, hand-drawn? I'd love to see your work, post some of those, please.

Again, welcome!

GP
    Yes I had some hand drawn maps. However, when I have visited some of the hobby shops that also had FtF role playing, they would either get bought (most of them) or end up missing. Thus, I no longer have any left. Sorry. Maybe I have some in my storage unit. Will have to look.

rmfr

A good friend will come down and bail you out of jail. A best friend will be in jail with you and say, "Dude, we screwed up."

Welcome to the guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome aboard! Look forward to seeing more of your work.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the Guild! Nice maps, I like the shapes and the ideas but to my eye the colours are a bit lurid and the font sizes are a bit huge!

Good start....let's see more!

Sorry to have been gone for a while, but a 1,000,001 posts to read through is quite a bit.

Lots of helpful info here!!!!!

Care if I advert this site on another forum board I visit quite often?

rmfr

I think me stupid.

How start new topic if want to showcase some work? Figured should go under Finished Maps, but can't figure how to start new topic. Am used to SMF forum powered boards, and this don't seem the same.

Help.

rmfr

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

at the top of the forum you should see this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Finished Maps - Cartographers' Guild_1220857691105.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	4.3 KB 
ID:	6397

Just click the new post and fire away

and know, we don't mind you telling people about our little corner of the web

Thanks, I figured it out, but, Thanks.

And thanks for adverting this site.

rmfr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast