Thread: RPG Fantasy World needs Citiy Maps

Default RPG Fantasy World needs Citiy Maps

Hi,

over the last years I created my own P&P RPG and also a new World for it. A friend of mine draw the world Map but now hasn't the time anymore to draw city or regional maps. I tried to create some but I'm absolutly not talented. I also tried to create some with gimp and those i used for some Sessions of RPG but i wouldn't call them nice.

This could be a rather big task for you if you like it because the Worldmap is quit lage and has about 50 big cities and all together about 200 points of interests ( towns, clans, castles, monasterys etc.). And here is the problem I think: It's just a hobby and i'm just at University so i can't pay as much as it woul't be worth. I could affort to pay 2-5€ per Map of an big city (and ignoring the 150 other poi ) but i Think thats insufficient to call it a payment for a cool City map in this style: Link

I would use the maps just for my RPG purpose and would like to copy them for my groups. I'm not planing on publishing anything of the stuff (maybe i would post it in a small forum of my local RPG group * about 100 active Members* if you allow that). Maybe I'd like to edit a City name on the map because at the current state i haven't hardly any name for the cities. I don't know what right I would need for that and If you write your name on it im absolutly fine with that. You may also suggest city names if you like.

The maps don't need to be colored and should be large enogh to print them on DIN A3 ( I don't know what it would be in ISO Norm but im sure you can figure that out how big it is)

For most places i have just rough ideas what it should look like and just a few I have a clear plan of what it should look like. It's all settled in an medieval fantasy setting and there are of course many different kind of cultures and each builds citys a bit different but most of them are just Humans so don't worry that there have to be some fancy elvish buildings in each city. If you are interestet, feel free to contact me: drausinion at gmx.de

As you see at the top level domain I'm from germany and therefore don't be upset if there're some mistakes in my english text. It would of cause be much easier for me if some german cartographers would work on this project because all cultural stuff is written in german. But don't worry I would translate all parts that refer to the citiescape for you if you are interestet and just speak english.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Cirias's Avatar

Generally, city maps (good city maps) are far more time consuming than other map types and for just one map you should expect to pay well over 100 euros, if that. For 50 maps? I cant even begin to say how much that could be.

I dont think you'll see a realistic response at the prices you've suggested. Maybe someone would do one or two maps as a hobby though.

Thanks for your Reply,

I didn't thougt that one City map would be such expensive but I guess you have way more expirience in this field. Sadly i cannot afford this much money and I wanted to try it. The other thing what i could think of what, in my oppinion, could be less work for one of you would be, that you make me good Gimp Brushes with buildings, streets, Walls *everything that you need to make interesting cities* and ill pay you also up to 200€ for some good set of brushes I can use to create the City maps on my own. Would that be more likely to get a response?

Guild Adept

Do you really need 50 cities mapped in full details? Not even most commercial game's settings have so many. Maybe you should scale back, but if you absolutely need that many you could just use a random generator. Like this: Roleplaying City Map Generator » Inkwell Ideas

I tried to use this generator a few times an it worked not as good as I expectet it to work and well I could work with about 10-15 but I dont know which I'll need and therfore my request was about all i could need.

but back to the generators, is there a generator which generates cities that can be individualised in detail?

Honestly city maps are probably among the most expensive to create. Many bulidings and streets is lots and lots of work. There really is only one city generator and that's the one linked above, so a generator that makes more individuallized city designs - does not exist. I myself use the Roleplaying City Map Generator, to get ideas on creating a city I want, though I never use it as is. I just use it as an idea generator. When I want a city to more exactly detail, it means doing it by hand and taking the time to do it. There are no short cuts into making city maps, and they tend to the least favorite kind of map for any cartographer to make.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 08-04-2014 at 11:10 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Cirias's Avatar

If you have Photoshop or GIMP, it may be worth checking out this tutorial: http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...photoshop.html

It uses the RPG City Map Generator as a basis for creating a nice, artistic-looking map. It's also the tutorial I originally used to help me get started with creating city maps and I can't recommend it highly enough!

Thanks for the Ideas.

Did someone use the Cityographer yet. It sounds realy good and the free version isn't bad but are there any tutorials to this tool? best would be a German version but English would be all right . Has somebody an Pro version of this generator?

If you have photoshop : http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...omated%5D.html

that is as good as it can get. You can even make your custom brushes (buildings).

Sorry I only use Gimp is there also an version for that?