Thread: Tectonics.js

Guild Applicant

Default Tectonics.js

Well, I already asked this question when I introduced myself, but this is probably the better place for it.
    I found this interesting website:
    tectonics.js

It simulates plate tectonics and is exactly what I need at the moment. I wanted to use it as little guideline to get my continents straight, but I'm not sure how reliable it really is. The results are supposed to be better if you run it at slower Speed and wait until you reach 4-5 Billion years.
    What do you think about it?
    Last edited by Weiße Rose; 07-20-2014 at 05:15 AM.

It seems nice but looks super low res and I dono't see any way to import ur own plate tectonics for custom worlds ... Unless I am wrong?

But would be pretty cool , since he put the code online , if that could be implemented in Fractal terrains ... I coul dimagine a new generated world then some tectonics plates segmented throught a vector spline and then launch the tectonic movements that woudl be super .

Guild Applicant

It seems to have potential, that’s for sure. Something like this could take other world generating software to a new level of realism. But I’m still not sure if it’s scientifically sound.

My plan was to use it as a starting point (continent placement, mountains…) and do the rest in fractal terrains. This means a lot of manual labor, but the landmasses generated with fractal terrains aren’t believable enough for me. I tried to do my own map for the plate tectonics of my world, but the results where questionable. I just wonder if this method is really better.

Shame I’m not a programmer. It would be wonderful if someone took on this little project. The developer seems to have abandoned it.

I am finding FT3 now extremely realistic for building worls , just use the up and downs eiditing tools offset and u can shape any world u like by hand .