Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: July 2014 Challenge: Invasion of the Void Barbarians

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Wip July 2014 Challenge: Invasion of the Void Barbarians

This illustrative map depicts an event called 'The Nightmare'. Imperial sorcerers were experimenting with the remnants of an old and long race in an old tower-like structure. During one of their experiments they opened a gate to an unknown region. Through the gate they could see a dark, silent and bleak landscape and they called it the 'Void'. Soon after the gate opened strange creatures with three arms emerged and started to kill the sorcerers and the guards. The creatures, which didn't seem to speak and acted largely in silence, began to kill every human they got sight of, started to burn libraries and destroyed every book and music instrument they got in their hands.
    Only after a hard struggle and many battles the coalition armies could fight back the barbarians and finally sealing the gate in the now called Tower of Doom.

Done with pencil on paper and coloured and detailed in PS. A last minute entry, as I had the idea a few days ago. Luckily I found the time to do it.
    Regrettably, my inability to draw a convincing human figure shows also in this piece, maybe I should have gone for some fantasy creature, too.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Invasion of the Void Barbarians.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	66065  
    Last edited by Sapiento; 07-29-2014 at 06:08 AM.

Very nice work... and I like both the void stalker and the holy knight. I just wish I could draw like that!

Thanks Ilanthar! I still have to master the human shape; I'm much better in drawing non-existing beings.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Oh, that's great! Destroying books and musical instruments... what a cool and creepy, inscrutable, barbarian enemy! Also, I find the figures convincing. I guess it's all relative, I would be overjoyed if I could draw a figure like you did here. I guess I better get practicing. Thanks for the inspiration and awesome map!

cheers,
    Meshon

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Creepy! Looks like a plague doctor, which are always unsettling...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Creepy! Looks like a plague doctor, which are always unsettling...
    Bravo, well observed! Initially I had planned to call the setting 'The Plague'. This was my initial inspiration for the creature.

your drawing of human shape is already really good! Maybe it isn't technically perfect but there really is a very good general feeling about those 2 characters. My only critic will be that the knight and the void stalkers are so visible that the map itselfs seems secondary.

Well done! The stances and page layout of the figures do seem a bit awkward and unbalanced (and, if you do nothing else, you might want to consider changing the value and coloration of the knight's pants seat...) but they are very well rendered. Reminds me of old illuminated manuscripts. The map is well defined too, with a good legend, but does appear a bit secondary in importance the way you've overlaid the figures. It might have been interesting to have the map itself as a roll of parchment between them, and have the figures depicted in some sort of dark landscape... or to darken and burn the page behind and around the edges of the figures so that the map appears only between them and is more focused on the center of the action. Maybe just adding a more intricate border around the edge of the existing piece would help to pull it all together. But it's truly not bad as you did it, especially given the short deadline, and it's really quite inspiring! What type of layer setup did you use?
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Great work! I really like the scroll legend but the whole piece is very cool.

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by Francissimo View Post
    your drawing of human shape is already really good! Maybe it isn't technically perfect but there really is a very good general feeling about those 2 characters. My only critic will be that the knight and the void stalkers are so visible that the map itselfs seems secondary.
    Thank you!
    Due to the late entry I didn't experiment with different layouts, but the two characters are quite dominant, that's true.

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Well done! The stances and page layout of the figures do seem a bit awkward and unbalanced (and, if you do nothing else, you might want to consider changing the value and coloration of the knight's pants seat...) but they are very well rendered. Reminds me of old illuminated manuscripts. The map is well defined too, with a good legend, but does appear a bit secondary in importance the way you've overlaid the figures. It might have been interesting to have the map itself as a roll of parchment between them, and have the figures depicted in some sort of dark landscape... or to darken and burn the page behind and around the edges of the figures so that the map appears only between them and is more focused on the center of the action. Maybe just adding a more intricate border around the edge of the existing piece would help to pull it all together. But it's truly not bad as you did it, especially given the short deadline, and it's really quite inspiring! What type of layer setup did you use?
    Thank you!
    As I said above, I was too short of time. Maybe I can try your idea with darkening the background.
    The pencil scan is on multiply, shading and colours below, highlights above it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maker of the Way View Post
    Great work! I really like the scroll legend but the whole piece is very cool.
    Thank you!

Small update, I changed the colour of the knight's pants.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Invasion of the Void Barbarians.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	66169  
    Last edited by Sapiento; 07-31-2014 at 05:54 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast