Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bourmout [pencil to color] WIP

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    It has helped me to realize some thing I do slightly wrong with overhead town layouts. Nothing major but when doing roofs that overhang/project out quite a bit [2-3' overhang] I still draw some features like stairways that really would not be seen. Or only the edges and not much of the steps.
    Mmm. Sometimes can be difficult to balance reality and readability in maps.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

True. It's just something more to keep in mind when I'm working.
    I do try to think realistically but then do what I feel even if it might not be realistic, sometimes.

There will be a slight pause in Bourmout progress as I'm working on the current Lite Challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    There will be a slight pause in Bourmout progress as I'm working on the current Lite Challenge.
    I look forward to seeing what you come up with for that.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

I think you'll like it. It is arguably the best map I've ever done.
    I was able to achieve a number of things I have tried to do for years and never really managed properly.
    I'm really glad I started doing that challenge or I would not have started that piece. I'm hoping to have the finished piece up soon.

Now that the Lite challenge piece is finished I am returning to work on Bourmout.
    I'll post new revisions/additions as I complete that stuff.

So here's a new twist. I drew up a perspective drawing of Bourmout and combined it with the pencil map. I like the result. I might go this route for the color version but with more stuff. Like a heraldic shield and a different title piece. And some more involved but not busy border of some sort. Maybe I'll draw that as well. Who knows.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bourmout [uncolored] test 3d MiD 2.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	66398

Chashio - if I hadn't already done it this seems like it would sort of fit your challenge idea.
    Last edited by J.Edward; 08-08-2014 at 09:55 AM.

This looks smashing!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

That looks great. Did you use the sketchup model from earlier in the thread to aid with the perspective drawing? (I have been using sketchup as an aid for my recent building maps/drawings)

Thanks Larb. Yeah, I had an idea of heights for the buildings but I really needed to get a better feel for it so I modeled it. I will probably do that more often. It really is helpful to quickly visualize an area. Most times I draw from in my head, not using reference but this was a helpful, relatively fast and accurate thing to refer to.

Are you using SU for the Shrine thread? I'm enjoying your work with that. The new Chieftain tower map is nice.

Thanks Arsheesh. It keeps making me want to do more with this town.
    I'm already thinking about floorplans and surrounding farms villages.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast