Thread: A medieval town project

Wip A medieval town project

This will be an eastern european town, a small part of which is fortified, the rest will be just a large number of burgage plots gathered around 1 or 2 streets. The central part is formed by a small "castle", which actually ist just a group of houses gathered around a college with a large romanesque-gothic collegiate church, surrounded by a palisade on an embankment, and maybe a moat, too.
    There will certainly be another church, the town's parish church, and probably another monastery, too.

The whole town will be drawn as a street plan first, and that being finished, i'll try to draw a 3D view of it.

Now, for the start, i've begun the project with drawing the plan of the "castle", so here it is:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14951375527_b284807655_c.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	223.4 KB 
ID:	67119

I also made a coloured plan to show the elements of greater importance.

Name:	15137918375_e2781fc09c_c.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	232.8 KB 
ID:	67120

The big red building is the collegiate church, the other red ones or the buildings that belong to the college.

The yellow areas mark the burgage plots, hence the privately owned areas of the "castle".

The light green buildings are stone houses, the dark green buildings are privatley owned tower houses, often on the same plots as the stone houses.

The blue buildings are gatehouses.

That's it for the first part; updates will come soon...

This is off to a very promising start. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Got an update for the town:

Name:	14953822368_7443a0c332_c.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	67129

I've added a franciscan friary and the town's parish church, the latter placed in the middle of the town square. All the outlines of the burgage plots have been finished, too, and some of them already got their buildings.

Apart from the "castle", the town will not receive any further defensive walls.

The huge open space in front of the castle walls is not just a big market square, but also a place where cattle traders can leave their cattle for the night.

The town is primarily an ecclesiastical centre for the region, hence the college doesn't have too much administrative power over the surrounding countryside. The safety for the region is mainly provided by border fortresses and well-defended towns at strategic locations.

I finished the down, deleting the second parallel road which would just have produced an oversized chunk of small buildings behind the row facing onto the market area.

Name:	15182975755_648c895c21_c.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	67205

I've also made a new coloured view of the plan, marking the ecclesiastical areas (red), their significant buildings (dark red), and significant non-ecclesiastical buildings (blue)

Name:	14996391198_522f6b829b_c.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	114.4 KB 
ID:	67206