Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zoom in of some Imrian countries

Wip Rhaio and the Continent of Imry

I'm editing this thread to just have a bunch of maps for the planet Rhaio and one of it's continents, Imry.

Spent the better part of this week designing and detailing this. Inked it in today and cleaned it up in Photoshop. A lot of cities/towns need to be added, and all the mountains and hills in the north need to be put in. Every city or town named are places in the book my fiance and I are working on. Most of the countries have a lot of history behind them that I've been working on as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Imrian-Zoom-Map-copy.png 
Views:	126 
Size:	298.3 KB 
ID:	66192

EDIT1: Now I'm working on a bigger view/plates. I would really like some feedback on this one.

Name:	rhaioplateswip.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	218.6 KB 
ID:	66253
    Last edited by Patmos of Endtimes; 08-03-2014 at 05:15 PM.

Nice drawing .

Thanks, Naima. Any feedback?

Well , to begin I would make more visible the Cities , perhaps some Icons showing some nicely drawed towns or castles or cities , then I woudld find a way to make more understandeable the difference between a regional name and a city name , for example "Felcor" Its placed like if it is a region name , but close I see a small rounded dot wich makes me think might be a city , or perhaps its a lake name?
    then I see a lot of rivers and so I quess lots of mountains .
    A distance meter would also be nice to understand the sizes . Other than that I like the style of the dotted points and lines around the coasts .

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Nice one! I'm a big fan of that stipple effect on the coastlines (though I don't have the patience to do it myself very often), and you used it to great effect here. Your printing is very cool looking and legible.

As for critiques, I agree with Naima for the most part - a scale would be good, and more distinctive icons for the cities/towns would be nice. I'm sure it will improve too when you get the mountains in. Have some rep!

@Naima: Yeah, that circle in Felcor is the capitol, but we haven't named it yet. It's one of the important ones, setting-wise, as there will likely be a good deal of plot in it near the end of the first or maybe the second book.

@Diamond: Thank you! Stippling is tough, and I sometimes forget to breathe while doing it, but it is so worth it. Also, I'm not really all that good at math, and I'm really not entirely sure of the scale at this point, though if that big river in the top right is equal to say, the Mississippi or the Nile in terms of big rivers, I could probably figure something out.

Now I'm working on a bigger view/plates. I would really like some feedback on this one.

Name:	rhaioplateswip.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	218.6 KB 
ID:	66253

Is that supposed to be the tectonic plates / boundaries? If so, I am sorry to say it is a missed shot, Patmos It doesn't really fit the landmasses.

Use this procedure:
    1 - Search for the largest/longest ocean - that's the sea north of Eth'Felar
    This will have a mid-ocean dorsal, which is the region where new oceanic crust is being formed, and it is a divergent boundary between two plates.
    2 - Figure out how far those plates go
    One of them is Eth'Felar and apparently it doesn't matter for this map. On the other side (north), you have a very good looking island-arc. This usually happens where oceanic crust is being subducted, so you can end the plate right there.
    3 - Figure out the implications of ending those plates where you did
    Well, the simpler implication is that the sea between those two strings of islands is continental crust (that's why the oceanic crust subducts under it).

4 - Find other oceans, repeat the process

(alternatively)
    4 - Find other interesting tectonic places, repeat the process

The inland sea of Imry is an interesting place. Inland seas form when continental crust collides on all sides, raising mountains that close off a basin. This is always a temporary situation as erosion and sediments will either fill the sea or open a canal to the oceans. Therefore, it is much more plausible if there are plate boundaries (convergent type) on both sides of the inland sea.
    Another interesting place is that canal in the northwestern corner. Long stretches of sea like that (I'm thinking red sea, persian gulf) are areas where two continents are moving away (divergent boundary) from each other. You could try this as well, it would fit very "plausibly".

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    Is that supposed to be the tectonic plates / boundaries? If so, I am sorry to say it is a missed shot, Patmos It doesn't really fit the landmasses.

Use this procedure:
    1 - Search for the largest/longest ocean - that's the sea north of Eth'Felar
    This will have a mid-ocean dorsal, which is the region where new oceanic crust is being formed, and it is a divergent boundary between two plates.
    2 - Figure out how far those plates go
    One of them is Eth'Felar and apparently it doesn't matter for this map. On the other side (north), you have a very good looking island-arc. This usually happens where oceanic crust is being subducted, so you can end the plate right there.
    3 - Figure out the implications of ending those plates where you did
    Well, the simpler implication is that the sea between those two strings of islands is continental crust (that's why the oceanic crust subducts under it).

4 - Find other oceans, repeat the process

(alternatively)
    4 - Find other interesting tectonic places, repeat the process

The inland sea of Imry is an interesting place. Inland seas form when continental crust collides on all sides, raising mountains that close off a basin. This is always a temporary situation as erosion and sediments will either fill the sea or open a canal to the oceans. Therefore, it is much more plausible if there are plate boundaries (convergent type) on both sides of the inland sea.
    Another interesting place is that canal in the northwestern corner. Long stretches of sea like that (I'm thinking red sea, persian gulf) are areas where two continents are moving away (divergent boundary) from each other. You could try this as well, it would fit very "plausibly".

I am very much a beginner at plate tectonics. I got some books from the library, but as I am a visual learner, the process is difficult. Honestly, the plate between the island chains was the only one I was sure of. I very much appreciate the feedback, though. I will try a little harder to think rather than scribble. XD

That southern-most island chain... I don't know if I should keep it or not, but it might make sense when I think about it in the context you just said. I wonder if I should just connect that upper canal to the ocean (more north) and bulge out that inlet. Right now in the setting, countries are actually working together to get the west end of the sea connected to the ocean (for trade purposes and to also help drain that lower lake, which had flooded a valley kingdom a thousand years before due to magic-induced earthquakes taking out a natural dam).

Is this a little more realistic?

Name:	rhaioplateswip2.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	177.3 KB 
ID:	66262

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast