Thread: Fallen Bridge - another post-apocalyptic/post war map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Fallen Bridge - another post-apocalyptic/post war map

Here's another and last sample map for the tutorial guide, a post-apocalyptic destroyed bridge - thought it might make a location for a crude port, or use the standing bridge piece in the river as a make-shift stronghold position. (And a rare map of mine where the water is not blue). This is entirely created in Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 9 (a vector drawing application using photorealistic textures from CGtextures.com). Enjoy!

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	post-apoc-bridge.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	66193
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

As I get it, this is basically an encounter map. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by helvene View Post
    As I get it, this is basically an encounter map. Right?
    Yes! While I make many styles and types of maps, I'm trying to wrap up a Map Tutorials Guide book following a successful Kickstarter last year, and this is the style of map included. Most of my fans are using this style as encounter scale maps for tabletop games. So my sample maps generally fit for the encounter for a game.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Excellent encounter map GP! Looks very realistic! I especially like the reflection / transparency where the small bridge piece goes into the water, it really makes the effect stand out.
    The one part I don't care for is the beveled / broken ends of the bridge, they are just to smooth, but that is a minor issue in a great map.

Then may I ask what you do with it further on? Do you print it to use during the session?

It would most likely be used as an encounter map for a Virtual Tabletop applications like Roll20 or MapTool. It could be printed, but as a one-off encounter, I doubt it would be worth the expense. When creating example maps (as this is primarily being used as an example for a Map Tutorials Guide Book, I am currently finishing up for publication), I try to cover as many genres as possible, whether that is historical fantasy, science fiction, post-apocalyptic, etc. In this case an example for post-apocalyptic/post-war.

If used in an actual game, whether printed or used in a VT app, its for miniatures to do combat - a bridge head, even broken, might make an interesting combat location.

In a way, I'm practicing, since I don't do many modern/sci-fi maps, and I just received a long term commission creating encounter maps for Activision Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare printed, tactical guide book published by Prima for Activision. I need to create 20 - 30 sci-fi/futuristic encounter maps over the next several months. These are printed replications of the mapped areas in the video game CoD: AW.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 08-01-2014 at 12:50 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Good work. Usefull map
    Thanks Gamerprinter !
    Nyogtha
    RPG's Blog : "Le Parchemin de Nyogtha"
    http://medievalshop.com/parchemin/