Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (WIP) An atlas-style map of Palamb

What is the projection of the map? Maybe you could add a title with the name of the projection.

And how many layers do you have? I'm asking because the color progression is very fluid from my point of view.

And maybe you could make the ocean colors less contrasted ? Unless you were going to make the ocean topography afterward.
    Last edited by Azélor; 08-05-2014 at 06:51 PM.

Her pixie. I really like the map, it looks very good and I don't really see any problems with it. It looks like I belongs to a world atlas book.

The projection is Breusing Geometric, centered slightly south of the equator. I'll see how a lighter and more pastel blue works - ocean topography is not a project at the moment.. can't bite more than I can chew.

The color progression is merit of the color scheme mixed with the progressive relief shading by Nathan. It just worked out, much to my surprise as well. Thinking about it, exploding my topographic may have also added just the enough amount of "feather" in all the solid color layers.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

I'm almost ashamed to say this, but I think it looked cooler before you applied the shading. I mean it's gorgeous in the current state, and looks exactly like something from an atlas, extremely realistic… but the raw, hand-drawn elevation map has something that just sets it apart completely from every other atlas-style map. It's unique and it displays the intense amount of work you've put into it, which I kinda think gets hidden when the shading is applied.

But! It's your map, so I'll stop now About the labeling, projection, etc, I like all your fonts except for the city font, which I think should have either pretty pronounced serifs to match the area labels, or no serifs, to stand out from it. It's somewhere in-between right now, and oddly, that looks mismatched in my eyes. The projection is interesting, and it works well for this shape. Some more longitudes and latitudes could be shown, in my opinion; the continent is pretty big, and wide spacing in the graticule makes the land appear smaller, at least to me… Also, one thing that would look good in my opinion would be to curve the straight labels along the graticule.

Have you used the smudge tool much? It might be useful in your endeavors to create the natural coloration version. All of this looks amazing, by the way!
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Great work Pixie. I've spent much time doing similar work.
    I think you did a wonderful job on this. I look forward to seeing you work with this style.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Nice stuff Pixie I though agree with Ligon about the cities labels font. Also the coastlines looks a bit poor resolution.

As others said, very nice map. I think you got just the good color palette and mountain style. It would just perfectly fit in an atlas.

Thanks for the compliments and the ideas for improvements. I will eventually try your suggestions and revive this post. But for now, holidays

Holy gee! I missed this thread completely. What a nice surprise.

Palam looks amazing Pixie. I was wondering what you were up to all these weeks because I only checked your other older threads which I have bookmarked, and there you were pretty quiet. I can't believe all the progress you've made on the cute penguin, great work.

By the way, have you noticed one of the short rivers near Melankien, in Hakam, does not reach the sea or lake?
    Last edited by groovey; 08-28-2014 at 05:18 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12