Thread: Question about processes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Question about processes

I need to make battle maps for my D&D 5E games. I did some experimenting this afternoon with technical pens and copic markers. It's not perfect but I'm happy with it. I drew the grid onto a square piece of foam core then did my drawing.

This is the result: http://imgur.com/mciEIWT
    I'd like to be able to quickly develop a map, and this style is pretty simple. I can take one of two paths, develop some templates and tools for doing these by hand, or find an appropriate piece of software to build the maps out then print and glue to foamcore. So my questions are:

1. If I go the hand render route drawing the walls is probably the part I'd like to be able to knock out the quickest. The only thing I can thing of is attempting to construct a template/stencil that is the right thickness so I can line it up on grid lines and block out straight sections to be filled in (or not filled in) later.

2. If I go the software route, are there any suggestions on what to use? I could probably build up templates and tools with Inkscape or Gimp, but would a dedicated software package (like Campaign Cartographer) enable me to build maps more quickly and in the style I want?
    Last edited by jgerman; 08-03-2014 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Img url not working