Thread: July/August 2014 Lite Challenge Entry: A Person Who Does Things

Banned User

Default July/August 2014 Lite Challenge Entry: A Person Who Does Things

A few years ago, a good friend of mine told me he had asked his 12 year old daughter what she wanted to be when she grew up. He said she replied, "I want to be like Cornelia. I want to do things."

That may be the nicest compliment I ever had. So I decided to make a "map" of me, showing some of the things I have done in my 68 years. I'll leave it to anyone who cares to figure out what they all are.

I don't know if this really qualifies as a map or not, but it was the best I could think of to meet this challenge. Hopefully, I'll be making more traditional maps as I learn from you all.

Cheers,
    Cornelia Yoder
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A Person Who Does Things.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	179.6 KB 
ID:	66258  

This is very cool, I recognize a lot of it. Looks like you fly light planes, gliders, and hot air balloons, perhaps even holding a record on one. Play bridge, and the harmonica. Scuba dive, use complex equations to define fractal geometry on an old IBM computer, and went white water rafting in the Grand Canyon. Emergency medical provider. Is that Carlsbad Caverns? It looks familiar. But even I don't believe you have time traveled back to see a T-Rex,,,,, Well, OK, maybe.....

And if I haven't said it before, Welcome to the Guild !!!!

Works for me ! Welcome to the guild!
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

Banned User

Thank you, Bogie, you got most of it. My fractal art is on a new computer, but I also worked for IBM for many years. I was a white water boatman on several rivers, but the first time through the Grand Canyon hooked me on geology. My original degrees were in math, but I later went back to school in geology. My geology dissertation was on the mass extinction that killed, among many things, most of the dinosaurs, and also led to my current efforts to teach about global warming (the two eyeglass images) as well as some work with the Cave Research Foundation in Mammoth-Flint Cave. The world aviation record was Feminine Out-and-return Distance in Gliders, 1982, 637 miles without an engine. The background is also significant, as I taught planetary geology while a grad student. Oh, and the dragons are fractal, but intended to represent my interest in fantasy gaming. None of which makes me much of an expert in mapping ...... yet.
    Last edited by Chick; 08-04-2014 at 10:17 PM.

Ahah! That's why the stalagmites look familiar, I was in Mammoth Cave in 1980. My favorite cave so far is a smaller cave west of San Antonio, but I forget the name. I have a friend who was a whitewater guide on the Colorado River in the mid 70's. I went with him once on the Dead River in Maine.

Since Chick is new to the site and her entry was one of her first posts, she probably didn't know about the WIP thingy.
    And since I should have noticed this omission earlier and had her fix it, this becomes My Fault.
    I am going to fix that oversite and add the WIP myself. I hope no one minds.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A Person Who Does Things.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	179.6 KB 
ID:	66627

PLEASE DO NOT REP THIS AS IT WILL GO TOWARDS MY ACCOUNT

IF YOU WANT TO REP CHICK THEN PLEASE GO UP TO POST #1 WHERE SHE FIRST POSTED THIS SO SHE GETS THE CREDIT.
    Last edited by Bogie; 08-14-2014 at 09:54 PM.