Thread: July/August 2014 Lite Challenge Entry: Theatre of a Gray World

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default July/August 2014 Lite Challenge Entry: Theatre of a Gray World

Okay, so... If past actions didn't make you think I was insane, this will probably do it.

Been thinking about ways to go about it since the challenge began and have only just started scratching things down. It's unlikely to get finished on time - five days left and all - but I'm going to try my best. It'll certainly be a challenge.

You might recognize the layout; I'm basing it almost entirely on this map: Magna Carta Mundi 1670 (Nicolaus Ioannis Vischerius). For various reasons, but also because my ideas just happened to fall into place when I saw it. I know it's toeing the line to some degree, starting with something instead of nothing. It will all be hand drawn in the end but, if this is out of bounds concerning entry rules then please feel free to kick me out of the running. I won't mind... and I'll just take a little longer to do it on my own.

Here's a picture of where it's at right now. Just a small sketch of what's going where. The working doc will be digital, 20x30 inches, and 300ppi.
    ### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gray world layout sketch.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	66330
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Glad you going for this one. It's such a cool challenge.
    I'll check back. I want to see where you go with it.

Glad to see you enter the challenge Chashio. As far as rules compliance, this is a really out there kind of challenge so I think a lot of leeway should be allowed. Go for it.

Very ambicious, and very very personal!! I love the idea! Don't let the gray world bow you!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Even if you don't get it done by the time the contest ends, please do finish it; it's a really cool idea.

Yeah, it's not getting done this challenge.

Hindsight: working on multiple projects at once and setting things down while I do something else is probably a safer route for me. Ended up not sleeping and feeling ill from thinking too much about all the different aspects and puzzling it into togetherness. Also, with thunder storms passing through so often this week I've mostly been sketching stuff on slips of paper instead of working on the digital file... and I've enjoyed so much drawing in pencil again (excluding the drawing/erasing/drawing/erasing in my dreams when I did manage to fall asleep) I think now I'll just pick up a large sheet of good drawing paper and finish it that way - over the course of a few months.

Still... Even if I just added one more unfinished entry to my challenge history (which I do feel sorry about) I'm glad I did post the thread, because I don't think I'd have found the courage to work on this otherwise. Thank you for the encouragement. And the leeway.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

I'm glad you enjoy the odyssey of this adventure. Into the storm, with your papers, pencils, dreams... so epic. That's not a race, it'is a voyage of self-knowledge. My sincere thanks to you for encouraging me to participate first.