Thread: Hand-Drawn Map Symbols and Map Brushes

Wip Hand-Drawn Map Symbols and Map Brushes

I'm working on a new set of map symbols. I really want to get them finished tonight but I'm on vacation and my internet connection is a little flaky. (Also I'm a little flaky.) I've got a couple problems though before I'm finished with them. First, I'm not really using Photoshop anymore! I still HAVE it, so I can open my file in PS to make all these into brushes, but I figure if I'm doing the extra work already, I should ask: what other formats would you like to see these in? Individual PNG files for CC3 (I think?) was something that was requested before (that I don't think I ever got around to, heh....)

Here's a preview of what I've got so far...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapstuff2.jpg 
Views:	711 
Size:	744.4 KB 
ID:	66360

Small and large mountains and trees of various types. I want to get done with some hills and some town icons at least before I call it done.

At the bottom of the page are two brushes I made just recently to draw continents and rivers and things. They make random land-like shapes, so there's no more fooling with clouds and threshold to rough up the edges and make it look natural. I have versions of these brushes for Photoshop and Manga Studio 5. (The MS5 brushes might also be compatible with Clip Studio? They're basically the same program.) The Manga Studio brushes are a bit superior, due to MS5's ability to use multiple brush tip shapes, but Photoshop's scatter function mostly takes care of that in the PS brush. I'm getting a lot of use out of them, and I want to share them.

Here's what the Photoshop brushes look like:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ps-map-preview.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	66362

Here's those brushes: StarRaven's Generic Map Brushes.zip (It's just a generic land edges brush and a river brush. Lemme know if they're useful!)
    North or south or east or west, where to point your shoes...?
    Which direction is the best?
    If the choosing gets confusing, maybe it's the map you're using....

Quote Originally Posted by StarRaven View Post
    I should ask: what other formats would you like to see these in? Individual PNG files for CC3 (I think?) was something that was requested before
    If you make PNGs, they can be used with CC3, Fractal Mapper 8 and Dundjinni.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

I just registered on this site to say that PNGs of these would be absolutely brilliant. So yeah.

Hi!

PNG format would be wonderful. Love the idea of the brushes. Any idea on how soon? Would to test them out!

ZiggyInBR
    Humble DM for 1E AD&D

Been busy, but here's individual PNGs of everything shown so far in a .zip file. I haven't had a moment to make Photoshop brushes, mostly because my old version of PS keeps crashing. Sorry for the wait.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	all.png 
Views:	420 
Size:	706.1 KB 
ID:	66679  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    North or south or east or west, where to point your shoes...?
    Which direction is the best?
    If the choosing gets confusing, maybe it's the map you're using....

Quote Originally Posted by StarRaven View Post
    Been busy, but here's individual PNGs of everything shown so far in a .zip file. I haven't had a moment to make Photoshop brushes, mostly because my old version of PS keeps crashing. Sorry for the wait.
    Thanks so much, they look great!

Hey StarRaven, thanks so much for sharing your brushes. They look great! Any chance you could make them into PS brushes? (.abr file type)