Thread: Help with Ascension Tutorial color range.

Default Help with Ascension Tutorial color range.

Hello,

Sorry ahead of time if this is the inappropriate place to post this. I'm a first time user trying to understand making maps in photoshop. Found this website and Ascensions guide Ascension's Atlas Style Tutorial - Revised Presentation + Actions, but I've already run into a snag.

Can someone help me understand why my picture in photoshop doesn't match up with the tutorials

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9Mxiz2G.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	761.2 KB 
ID:	66413

I followed this step 15:

Select Color Range (layer “Shape Land”) --- Alt -> S -> C
    a. Select: Sampled Colors
    b. Localized Color Clusters: Unchecked
    c. Fuzziness: 1

which is supposed to select black pixels because it is the current foreground color yet the black/white are reversed for me. When I try to okay this step, I get a warning stating that I have no pixels selected.

Thanks for any and all help.
    Last edited by crky0601; 08-08-2014 at 02:36 PM.

have you tried Ctrl + I ?

it will invert the black and white

I tried Crtl + I but it didn't solve the problem. To make my picture look like his, I had to change "Sampled Colors" to "shadows", which I found out later on completely screws up how other layers like mountains and hills looks like. I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong as I'm following every step exactly. I simply cannot get my image to look like his without changing some settings that aren't described in the tutorial.

Blog Entries

crky0601, in the "Select Color Range" dialog box, at the very bottom you have 2 radio buttons. You need to have the one that says "Selection" active. In your attached screen shot you have the "Image" radio button selected. Try that and see if it helps.