Thread: Crippled guy asks about Software

Hobbitt Estates, Greater Kansas City Metro Area, Kansas, USA

Default Crippled guy asks about Software

Hi all, I haven't posted in forever. I used to post quite frequently and check the site daily - my map for Opal Island was even featured once, one of my most proud moments ever - but my life has changed significantly. Ive got two kids (5 and 7) now and am also pretty disabled. So much so I cannot spend as much time in a traditional PC environment for more than 20 minutes or so.

I recently bought a lap-top so I could do SOME game-prep in bed. Good software that us usable on a machine with a touch pad is a pain. My Photoshop (which is ALL I know) is on the PC and the license won't transfer.

Do any of you have an idea or two if there is a mapping or graphics software out there that is usable with a touch-pad. Any mouse or Wacom type device is out of the question, I don't have enough motor skills anymore, plus to use them while laying down requires more effort than I can deal with.

Any ideas? Thanks all.
    City of Opal Island Map (Featured Map Winner...yay!): http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=5966
    Various maps from my Homebrew Game: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=5407
    Unless I explicitly state otherwise you have my permission to use my maps in any capacity needed just give me credit. If you make money off them somehow, that's awesome - let me know! In fact, I LOVE to hear about the ways maps I make are used.

Well, they're not nearly as awesome as Opal Island, but I've made bunches of maps all or mostly with the little trackpad on a laptop. I use PhotoPlus - Serif has a reasonably capable free version as a teaser, and their full-up versions aren't anywhere near as expensive as Photoshop. But I wouldn't hesitate to use either The Gimp or Inkscape instead - both of which are free.

If you're losing fine motor skills, maybe a mid size tablet is what you need - is there one that can be set up as a touchpad, for finger control, instead of for digitizing pen?

Oh, and in case I missed giving you rep for Opal Island when it first came around, here's a smidgen - that is an amazing city map!

The Wacom Bamboo line is touch capable, but handling a notebook computer and a tablet at the same time is clumsy, in my opinion.

My wife typically uses the trackpad on her laptop computer with Photoshop when she's at home. She has an Intuos tablet, but she never uses it (more joy for me!) The Gimp or Serif or Xara should be just as useful as PS with the trackpad only.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name