Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scales

"mmmm... the google is strong with this one..."

-YodA

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

When building cities using CC3/CDpro .... which I've done quite a few and I too had the same problem with scale. After a couple years of trial and error, I can only give you the advice that works for me.

I first sketch out the layout of the city in pencil on a regular piece of printer/typewriter paper. The roads, the walls, gates, and perhaps even where I want to put certain inns, guilds, etc... THIS step here was very important to achieving a well finished and polished map, as opposed to a city map that I'd placed and removed so many symbols and lines that I just end the program in disgust and there the map would sit (probably still does). For me, by placing it on paper first, and getting the general layout.... I knew where I wanted things to go, and wasn't constantly editing, deleting them because it didn't look right or wasn't working with what I had...etc...

Second.... depending on the size, I kept this ratio in mind. As an average mind you, for a city you want to be packed together you increase the ratio, for a sparse layed out city.... decrease the ratio. But the ratio of buildings to people should be in the realm of 15% .... (5000 population will have 750 buildings). for the area... again, for a crowded city... decrease the area, sparse, increase the area, but take the population and multiply it by 1500 sq ft. (5000 pop city will have an area roughly 7,500,000 sq ft.) you can use the area tool in CC to gauge your progress....

I kept my houses and buildings between 20' and 60', and use the distance tool often to check that I was keeping to the realtively uniform size. My road sizes were more often than not 15' main roads, 10' secondary and 5-7' for alleys....

those are some of the main tips that work for me... it also depends on how you want to make the city look... more like the cities of our ancient history .... or fantastical and magical... so.. hope that helps

That's very helpful advice delg, spot on what i was looking for, thanks for replying

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

glad to be of assistance... glad my years of fumbling around with CCpro didn't go totally to waste you can PM if you have anymore questions on city maps...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12