Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first mapping project relaunched: Thylis

Wip My first mapping project relaunched: Thylis

Hi Folks,

it has been some time I haven`t been here. But recently I discovered my old map project on my HD, spent some time and here I am again

I revised the map shape, but I`m currently wondering how to manage the mountains, forests, etc. in order to have a realistic and still fantasy world.

I want to have mountainous regions for dwarfs and dragons, forests for elves, a swamp, a desert, volcanos, farm regions, Kingdom with castles etc. What do you think of the first draft? I just roughly marked the regions without further details (for instance lakes).

I`m planning to write a novel and maybe use this map for other projects too. The contintent should be approx as large as Austrialia is and part of a world with more contintens, but I have to think about this in details later.

What would you suggest? Thanks in advance for your comments

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thylis-Geologie.png 
Views:	146 
Size:	337.3 KB 
ID:	66472
    Last edited by Kelron; 08-11-2014 at 06:00 PM. Reason: typo

Time for an update

I decided to go for a very basic drawing stile first to try different mountain locatios, vegetation, etc. What do you think?

* Currently the upper area shall be quite barren, but with farmland at the left before the mountainside
    * The volcanic area is tropical
    * The lower area provides much farmland

I`m really not sure, if the placement of the rivers or the farmland/barren/desert combo in the upper region makes sense.

Name:	Thylis Concept.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	319.2 KB 
ID:	66702

I am no expert on the matter but you might want to rethink about your rivers. They practically never split you see, only join another. There is a good tutorial around here for proper instruction but I don't have a link right now.

Edit;
    Here it is;
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...ght-place.html
    Last edited by Iggy; 08-17-2014 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Added link to tutorial.
    WIP - My world map (now with tectonic plates. Or something that remotely resembles them.)
    WIP - Ivaerus continent - A fresh new struggle in making a continental map.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
    I am no expert on the matter but you might want to rethink about your rivers. They practically never split you see, only join another. There is a good tutorial around here for proper instruction but I don't have a link right now.

Edit;
    Here it is;
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...ght-place.html
    Thank you very much. I tried to apply this on the existing rivers.

Name:	Thylis Concept2.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	318.9 KB 
ID:	66703

Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    Thank you very much. I tried to apply this on the existing rivers.
    I think you might have slightly misinterpreted the informations given in the mentioned tutorial.

You have a lot of deltas and they are all very large. Not all rivers will form a delta and they are not always big.
    Whit the delta, the river usually splits close to the sea. River splitting inland in 2 different directions is rare (even more rare with large rivers) and do not stay that way for very long. Soon, the river will flow in only one of the 2 outlets.

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate that and it will help me making the map better

I`ll revise the rivers in the map totally.

and something like this could give you some ideas too: Kerala backwaters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I rearranged the rivers now and got rid of the Deltas. Due this should become an overview map, I didn`t add more details to the rivers (maybe I`ll make more detailed versions though). I hope the rivers look better now. Allthough this is fantasy, it still should somehow follow common rules of the nature

I`m also thinking of lake areas, but I think i`ll go for that in the final version.

Name:	Thylis Concept3.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	318.3 KB 
ID:	66712

Time for another update

I started with the final version and after some tries I think I know now, which stile I want to have in the end.

There is still much work to do and some minor things will be changed (for instance the fonts) but I`d like to know, what you experts think of this.

Thanks in advance for your feedback, which was very helpfull so far!

Name:	Thylis.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	930.5 KB 
ID:	66767

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast