Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello Guild!

Post Hello Guild!

Greetings!

I have been lurking on this forum for quite some time now. It sure contains a great deal of information regarding map making, and because I recently decided to try my hands on DM'ing I thought it was time to say hallo. As I will probably need help with creating dungeon maps. Anyway, my name is Sander, a 21 years old student (chemestry) living in the Netherlands.

Man, just introduced myself and I already have a question...
    Currently im using gimp* working on my first dungeon map. But I have a problem, as I cant seem to find how to rotate a selection without also rotating what it contains. Does anyone know how to do this?
    Also, whats the best subforum to ask such questions?

*PS CS2 frustrated me, as I had a hard time finding even the most basic functions (like the bucket fill tool, still havent found it). GIMP is fine, though. Just dont like that it creates/uses 4 bars in the windows taskbar.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome aboard Sander!

I'm no GIMP expert but I'm sure one of them will be along to answer your question.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    GIMP is fine, though. Just dont like that it creates/uses 4 bars in the windows taskbar.[/SIZE]
    Hia Zachariah. Glad to have you here!

There are a couple of options for that issue.

One is a plugin... there is the "deweirdifier plugin" (direct link to a mirror as this is rather old now) also known as the "background window plugin" available at portable apps or sourceforge.

Not sure if the portable one work with a regular Gimp install, however, ymmv...

The second options (and now my preferred option) is to just use gimp in full screen mode (F11). "Oh no, all my tool boxes and things are gone..." never fear, just double-Tab and they all show up, until you select the tool you want, and then then they drop back in behind again. F11 gets you out again. Trust me, once you go full screen you'll never go back

-Rob A>

Thanks guys!

Serieusly RobA that full screen mode tip is gold. Love it already!

I have added the map as it is now. As you can see there are 3 diagonal path ways. I was planned to make them by using select and rotate it to a 45 degree angle. But I cant seem to figure out how to change the angle of the selection (only). RobA do you have a bit of advice for making those diagonal path ways?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First Dungeon (Temple).jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	292.3 KB 
ID:	6195  

Sure thing.

Make a horizontal (or vertical selection) the size you want:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	asel1.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	6198

Then use the rotate tool and make sure you select the "rotate selection" option:

Name:	asel2.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	6199

Click on the selection, and drag the little center point symbol to where you want to rotate around (or leave it at the default center), then click and drag the selection to the angle you want. Holding the ctrl key while draging will snap it to 15 degree increments:

Name:	asel3.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	6200

TO actually make it rotate the selection, click the "Rotate" button of the dialog that popped up, or just hit enter.

You can also use the move tool with the selection to place it more accurately:

Name:	asel4.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	6201

Then just fill with the desired colour:

Name:	asel5.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	6202

Hope that was clear enough!

-Rob A>

Very clear, with the pictures included and all. Worked out great. Thanks!

Next thing would be to add texture and color to the ground and walls, maybe some shadows. After which doors and other object can be added. Dont really know how to do so, though. Couldnt find a guide for dungeon creation either. Do you have any guidelines available? or a link maybe to a source of information on this? I have seen you make some beautyful textures RobA is that all done in GIMP?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First-Dungeon-(Temple).gif 
Views:	25 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	6204  

Well... this would be an ideal candidate for my new script

(Just loose the grid first)

to get a result like this with one click (more or less):

Name:	temp1.png 
Views:	242 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	6209

Otherwise, a few suggestions are:
    - use layers (they are your friend)
    - always keep the file as a .xcf to preserve all the layer goodness
    - save as png

Here is another off-site tutorial on dungeons in GIMP:
    http://www.homeport.org/~bcordes/gam...with-gimp.html

And a GIMP mod I made of a photoshop tutorial:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...3&postcount=16

-Rob A>

Yes, I found and downloaded your script today, although Im still in the figuring-out-how-to-apply phase. But I love the theory behind such things, automating processes by means of programming. Maybe, when I have the basic dungeon making skills under control, I will give the scripting a try aswell.

The tutorials are looking promising. Cant try them out now as im not at home now, but looking forward to it.

The dungeon looks great, some small parts need separate attension (the cave in the opper right corner and the outside area of the temple) but that can always be done by hand afterwards. Thanks again, you helped me through the hardest part and greatly speeded up the learning process.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast