Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Planetary Colony Tiles

Wip Point of Egress 1: Submarine Portage

Experiment, a point of egress: the Submarine Portage. This could be used as the portage for a water world planetary colony. You guys know how much I love using water in my maps, and here's a texture I've wanted to use, but had no place for - now I got a place for it!

I figure that most of this submarine is below the waves, so its much larger than it appears in the map.

The upper deck of the pier has a Port Authority office and passenger and crew access, the lower pier is for cargo handling.

The first map is full dimensions at 16" x 20" or 80' x 100' at 100 ppi JPG, the remaining four are exact quarters of this map in 8" x 10" scale so they can be easily printed, then cut to edges and used to piece together a full 16" x 20" map. Quarters are 200 ppi JPGs.

That's it for tonight - I will continue on with this project and see where it goes.

So what other Points of Egress should I create - access/port for an ice planet, airless planet, train/subway station, ...what else?

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colony14.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	394.3 KB 
ID:	6262   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colony14a.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	454.0 KB 
ID:	6263   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colony14b.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	374.7 KB 
ID:	6264   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colony14c.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	298.1 KB 
ID:	6265   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colony14d.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	252.0 KB 
ID:	6266  

Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Oh, nevermind my wav file there, it was just Marvin the Martian from the old Bugs Bunny cartoons saying "Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an Earth-shattering kaboom!" The points of egress is an excellent idea as it allows for a huge degree of flexibility. Keep on keepin on.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

GP I know you're working on all the 'egresses', but once you get those done I don't think you have any kind of armory/weapons locker.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post I'm not done with the basics...

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    GP I know you're working on all the 'egresses', but once you get those done I don't think you have any kind of armory/weapons locker.
    Oh, I'm definitely not done with the basic planetary colony tiles - I sort of needed a break to spark my creativity, so egresses are a pleasant distraction until I get back into the meat of the basic tiles. I just wanted to play with something else and still be a useful part of the set.

Don't worry a weapons locker is a definite tile I've got to make.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

One idea would be to make the external terrain a transparency. That way the GM could paste it over top of any back drop he/she wanted, making the tile universal.

Post True, but...

Quote Originally Posted by someguy View Post
    One idea would be to make the external terrain a transparency. That way the GM could paste it over top of any back drop he/she wanted, making the tile universal.
    This is true, and for VT, I should make a transparent PNG version for any exterior colony maps, (good idea!) however, the original request was for use as printed tiles for an actual tabletop game.

I'll post more map tiles tomorrow.

GP

PS: I'm all for creating VT versions of all my maps, however, I am "Gamer Printer" - I specialize in printing RPG maps for everybody. A printed map is always my first goal!
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 09-01-2008 at 01:32 AM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Egresses
    Aerial:
    Perhaps some sort of bay for a small aerial craft, for colonies in areas where travel by air might actually be more practical and/or efficient, like high mountains, a planet with low gravity, or distant (secluded) outposts on planets with larger colonies elsewhere.

Misc.:
    Airlocks

Colony Tiles
    -Storage rooms (mining equipment, pressure suits, etc)
    -Hydroponics (as mentioned before)
    -Command & Control Room (essentially 'The Bridge')
    -Brig
    -Decontamination rooms
    Last edited by altasilvapuer; 03-25-2009 at 06:30 PM.

And of course if you're going for Planetary Colony tiles, you have hostile environments, so airlock stylie egresses. Subterrainain <sp?> would also be a possibility.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234