Thread: 7x7 Modular base tiles for miniatures gaming

Guild Applicant

Map 7x7 Modular base tiles for miniatures gaming

Hi guys,

I play a miniatures game called Legions of Steel that uses interlocking 5x5 tiles. The game is long out of print, but is an excellent set of tactical rules. We use them to pit Droids, Stormtroopers, sci-fi humans of various manufacturers, Daleks, 40k alien races, and others against each other.

I tend to run a big LOS game at GenCon in Indianapolis each August. So for this year's game, I will be pitting a group of Terran marines investigating an alien biocontainment problem at an Umbrella Intergalactic Corporation research facility. Here is the event description:

Legions of Steel: Bug Hunt
    After a bio-containment alert at the Umbrella Intergalactic research facility on Sigma Hesperus VII, Terran Federation Marines are dispatched to bring the situation under control. As Terra’s finest breach the airlocks of the massive installation, they discover horrors beyond their wildest imagination. Can you discover the fate of the station's 800 personnel, or will the lurking horrors within kill you all?
    Sat 7 pm to 11 pm

Anyway,for the game, I have made over forty different modular 7 square by 7 square tiles. I have printed them as 7.7" by 7.7" tiles to enable me to use bigger figures in the games, and have mounted the prints onto black foamcore. The tiles are pulled randomly as the marines advance, so the base is different each game. The tiles are located in my photobucket site at:

http://s701.photobucket.com/albums/w...Steel%20Tiles/

I have included some pictures of a test game in progress at:

http://s701.photobucket.com/albums/w...me%20Pictures/

Since the tiles are easily printed with 1" squares, and use the white triangle symbol for difficult terrain, they are easy to use for Star Wars Miniatures games as well.

I am using GIMP to process objects and artwork, and Dundjinni to make the tiles.

I'd be interested in any comments you guys might have. There's a couple of things I am looking for (weapons racks for a security station/armory, bubble green water tanks for Tyranid breeding experiments, etc.), so I will probably post requests for help with some of that artwork. I'm enthusiastic, and have a lot of ideas, but am short on the technical skills for the advanced photoshop-type work.

Thanks for your help!

Steve Gibson
    Burke, VA

Those tiles look pretty sweet!

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Blog Entries

Those tiles look great. I am sure your gonna find lots of help here. Theres a number of sci fi based gamer maps being done.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

You can also try the Dundjinni user creation forums (if you haven't already), you may find some things there you can use.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Great stuff man! What kind of printer do you use to print out these wonderful tiles?