Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obelisk - Help

Help Obelisk - Help

Hey all - Working on making a map of an Obelisk/Watchtower (in photoshop). I've tried to make an obelisk before and always struggled so I figured i'd see if anyone has any suggestions or ideas about how to make it look less like a pyramid and look better in general.

So I created a base layer that serves as a platform for the obelisk - and then another layer with a large bevel (chisel hard) for the body of the obelisk - and then finally another layer for the pyramid top. I tried experimenting with the screen/multiply settings on the bevel and the contour.

The textures i'm using here are basically placeholders until I get the building down.

So - any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Obelisk of Atesh.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	3.38 MB 
ID:	66624
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

I think the best way to make it feel like a really tall structure is to have it cast a very long shadow.

Thanks - added

I suppose whats disturbing to my eye is the sharp lines that form the X...I suppose you have to have them there to give it its shape, but wondering if there is a way to dull them a bit. Also trying to figure out a way to convey the sharper angle/slope of the building from the base to the pyramid (as compared to the angle/slope of the pyramid topper).

Views:	79 
Size:	3.12 MB 
ID:	66626

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

I agree the edges are too sharp. I tried a blur just over the edge Using a soft brush . It takes the edge off no pun intended . It doesn't seem to adversely affect the shape.

Name:	2014-08-14_220145.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	66629

A field of depth blur might also help the Illusion of height. I am not sure what you mean by the last part of your post ?
    Also trying to figure out a way to convey the sharper angle/slope of the building from the base to the pyramid (as compared to the angle/slope of the pyramid topper).
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

Good idea with the blur - but it unfortunately didn't work because the sharp lines are from the bevel effect on that shape.

But...it did give me the idea that instead of having one square with the pyramid like bevel, I separate it into 4 triangles and play around with gradient effects. I'm happier with this version - but still all ears if anyone has any suggestions

What I meant by the last post was that the incline of an obelisk is steeper from the base to just before the pyramid topper as compared to the incline of the pyramid topper. (not sure if that makes any more sense).

Views:	65 
Size:	3.31 MB 
ID:	66641

Different inclines should catch different amounts of sun depending on the position of the sun in the sky. I'd make the very top catch more light than the steeper slop leading up to it. Sometimes it help to make edges catch slightly more light or cast slightly stronger shadows, common of actual edges. It's looking good!

Because an obelisk is a square column with a pyramid at the cap, from a top down view, it only looks like a pyramid. Often when I create map objects with angles hidden due to being top down, I imply the shape with the shadow, rather than the object. I am working on an Egyptian based city design, so I too am creating obelisks for my map, I create a directed shadow (in the same direction as any drop shadows used in map) that depicts the obelisk form, unlike the top down view does.

Like this...

Name:	obelisk-with-shadow.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	66645
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Thanks for the tips guys - very helpful. I made a shadow with a LOT less blur so that it better depicts the form (though the overall map size limits the length of the shadow). I also expanded the pyramid topper in size so that it gives the illusions of a steeper incline. Also tinker with some settings to follow MadCowChef's suggestion that some spots should be lighter/darker depending on where sun hits it. Happier with this output.

Views:	75 
Size:	3.33 MB 
ID:	66647

Guild Journeyer

What about doing it something like this with a bit of a lean back on the top? This was done VERY quickly and I didn't hunt for decent fills but it shows you what I was thinking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hero6.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	322.6 KB 
ID:	66686  

oooh...that is pretty cool, but I have no experience doing the whole ISO-perspective thing (and it would probably take me forever to a whole map that way). Did you do that in CC3 perspectives?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast