Thread: Hello there from the Canary Islands!

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Default Hello there from the Canary Islands!

Hi everybody!

I've recently discovered your guild, searching resources and tools to make random maps for some writing I'm working on, and wow!, I think your work is fantastic, the level of you guys is really high. I Hope to learn at least how to create something "credible" hehehe.

I was a regular RPG player many years ago but have to move to work and well I could not imagine how many tools and resources for adventures are now in the hands of GM, really amazing.

Let's work on it! please forgive my everyday worst english

Welcome to the Guild, Quintus -- your English is plenty understandable. Look around and see a style you would like to try, among the tutorials, and dive right in. Fantasy cartography is definitely a field where you can learn by doing! And if you post some of your work as you go, members will be glad to make suggestions for improvement, or answer questions you may have - we are a friendly bunch.

Do you already have graphics tools you know well, or will you be picking out software to use before any other decisions? Or are your tools paper and ink? Hand-drawn maps have a place here too, even if it takes a scan before we can enjoy them :-).

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Hi, Thanks for the welcome jbgibson.

Currently I'm mainly reading and watching tutorials, downloaded the Fractal Maps 8 trial and play with it generating random maps in a virtual environment (I'm a mac user on home), I've the "impediment" that I work with Autocad in an architecture office, so I'm a bit "square" as we say in Spain, but it's a matter of "change the chip". "Trial-error and new one" in the trial of FM8 is teaching me a lot of things as I think that I should start on basics and forget about precision, units and well, about control everything, you now, I'm the guy that search for the bathroom on dungeons. I've to restrain the temptation to tell my boss to buy the Civil 3D hehe, or at least install a demo and play after-hours , but as I've said, in home I've a mac and my only imaging software is Pixelmator, I've to disconnect! hehe.

I'll post, I promise, I hope... Thanks again!