Thread: Hey there, awesome cartographers!

Default Hey there, awesome cartographers!

Hello guys (and girls),
    I'm Ravenfield and I stumbled upon this nice little site while looking for map making tutorials, so I decided to register and get some help, feedback, and friendly discussions concerning maps.
    I just recently began looking into map making though. From time to time I like doing some art stuff like drawing, painting or whatever just excites me, which would be photoshop and maps right now.
    I'm a more or less active LARPer and like P&P so it pretty much suggests itself to dive into creating an own world eventually and that's what I'm doing at the moment.
    Since I'm from germany, english is not my native language so please bear with me if I do make some mistakes (and feel free to correct me! I can't improve if I don't know what I'm doing wrong!).

Thanks for reading, you may continue with more important things now.
    Ravenfield

Edit: This is the first map I did (about a week ago). I only read about tectonics and climatic zones afterwards so this might not be too accurate when it comes to realism.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map01.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	3.82 MB 
ID:	66639
    Last edited by Ravenfield; 08-15-2014 at 09:08 AM.

Pretty nice work Ravenfield, glad you are joining us.

You'll also probably catch some flak about your continent edges being "too smooth" or "too round".
    There's a good tutorial floating around on here somewhere about running some filters to sort of rough-up your land edges to give it that organic, washed away kind of look...if that's something you're interested in achieving.
    If not...then that's cool too...do whatcha do...