Thread: Creating Massive Continents in CC3?

Help Creating Massive Continents in CC3?

Howdy,

Working on a full (redonkulously large) world map, drawing over an image i made in photoshop. Got all the islands/small continents and such, but when i try to draw over either of the two big continents, whenever i get about 80-90% done it's like the land drawing tool runs out of memory and doesn't record any of my clicks after a certain period. So when i try to finish it most of the detail becomes land, but the last bit acts as if i never drew it, and instead just has a big straight line going from where i started and where the tool stopped recording what i was doing.

I'm assuming the continent i'm trying to create is just too big for the program to keep track of in one go? I'd do one half and then the other, but then rather than combining into one big green landmass there's always an overlap line between the two halves, and i have no idea how to get rid of it.

Pretty much stuck on this project til i can get the continents done, so any help either making the tool keep track of a huge drawing, or some technique to combine two halves of a landmass without the big distracting line between the pieces would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I haven't worked with CC, but from what I understand it's working with Vector shapes in a similar way to programs like Illustrator and CorelDraw. The thing about vector shapes is that as far as the computer is concerned, the shape is just a list of point co-ordinates and properties, (ie. X; Y; Left curve handle reaches to x,y; Right curve handle reaches to xX, yY). That list has a limited number of available rows, which varies from app to app, but the result is that each shape can only have a limited amount of points.

The solution is either to use fewer points, or to build your continent out of several smaller, simpler shapes. You've thought of this yourself, but you think there's going to be a line at the join between the two shapes. As I said earlier, I don't use CC so I'm not sure what kind of controls you have available, but in another vector program, I'd draw filled shapes without lines. To get the lines, I'd clone the shapes and give them lines without a fill, and then remove the internal lines that no longer need to be there.

Hope that helps.

why do you use photoshop and CC ?

BraveSirKevin: and inkscape (free). In illustrator the limit of points can be very high (at least over 40 000 from personal experience) and you can always have the continent in several pieces. Nobody will notice if you stack your shapes.