Thread: City of Duat in Anubia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default City of Duat in Anubia

So this idea started from my Gnollean beetle ship deck plans, and the 5 man flying beetle assault vehicle I created over the past couple weeks. I need to design a city as part of the Advanced Tutorial Guides, with several start and stops. So will use this city design as a working tutorial in that guide. This is the capital city of the advanced gnoll species featured with the deck plans in their empire of Anubia (their specific crystal sphere). However, since I'm basically creating an ancient Egyptian based city using maps, illustrations, photos and floor plans of the Temple of Amun in Karnak, the Egyptian pyramids, and other specifically authentic Egytian sites. This city could easily be used in other fantasy settings and campaigns with an ancient Egypt theme.

While Duat seems an odd name. Researching Anubis, at least during the First Kingdom Period of Ancient Egypt, before Osiris appeared in the pantheon, it was Anubis who is the guardian of the Underworld, which the Egyptians called Duat. Anubis, at the time, was responsible for measuring your soul against the weight of a feather, as your judgment for the afterlife - though all that became Osiris's job in the later periods. Anubis was still the deity of funerary rites and embalming. So I decided to build a city that has living areas intermixed by necropoli, cemeteries, large tombs and temples - a city of the living and the dead.

All this is being created in Xara Designer Pro 9 (though Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 10 does everything you need to create a map - I use the full program for other things, than just mapping...) Xara is a vector drawing program (XP&GD10 is $89) with powerful beveling (better than most vector apps, IMO) tools as well as the rest I need to create any kind of map.

I'll post in the order of inspiration, and as components as I build this map.

First I created a vector "statue" of Anubis, in his full jackal form, as in the earliest statues. The Egyptian headdress is found on standing human-form Anubis statues, but not the full jackal form. As my personal twist I included it on this form, so its more my own, though authentically based.

Next I created a typical Egyptian temple floorplan ready for use in a game. Once I placed it on the map and realized how large an area I required for the total city, including an interior floorplan, though needed, was too small of details, once I reduced the total to the size required in the map design. So I created roofed version of the temple, and put it in a temple complex with a pair of smaller temples, and a pair even smaller still. Assumption there are less columns in smaller version, more for larger. The interior design I created is probably for the medium sized temple.

Finally the religious center placed at the city center. The start of the main city entry gates with side openings leading to different quarters of the city. I've determined the total space needed for the planned city and placed a wall around it (to give you an idea of the grand plan of this!) I plan to create at least a dozen specific Egyptian styled complexes for military, royal, administrative, etc first. I'll decide which "quarter" they best fit, place them on the city map, then begin to design the quarters around them, for the needed multitude of households and commercial operations. A slave quarter is planned, as well as main market quarter, the religious/admnistrative quarter is another, though I haven't determined the rest (maybe more than 4 quarters - I use the term "quarter" loosely.)

I made a few changes to the religious center prior to working out the main city walls. I scaled the palm trees down, extended the grassy "park" around the center, and added 2 obelisks. There's a pair in front of one of the gates at the entry. There will be many more pairs throughout the city, being the most common dedication statuary found in the city.

Anyway, progress...

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anubis.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	248.1 KB 
ID:	66674Click image for larger version. 

Name:	duat-amun.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	596.4 KB 
ID:	66675Click image for larger version. 

Name:	duat-center.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	66676Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anubia.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	66677
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Next update. I've determined the "quarters" of the city. At center is the religious center, which also contains the administrative, accounting and security offices, already created. The pharoah's residence and palace within its own walled enclosure will be to left of the religious park at center. While walled and subwalled precinct of nobles, slave masters and other wealthy elite will be to the right. The reverse "L" shaped quarter to the right of center is the slave quarter and prison, to the left bottom half is the merchant quarter, opposite the gate on the left side of the city is the crafters quarter. The walled enclosure just left of the south gate is the slave market. The gate to the left (west) is the Traders Gate, only opened during market days. The main gate into the city is the bottom (south) gate. At center top is the military quarter. Moving right along.

Name:	anubia1.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	66680
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Next update of the City of Duat. Much of the administrative quarter is complete. The connected building complex to the bottom (to right side) is imperial and city admnistration and security. The little black pyramid covered in obelisks is the funerary, embalming, mummification, and necromancy complex (though much of the complex are in catacombs beneath it and the adminstrative complex). In the lower left corner is a temple of Thoth and the Gnollean Academy (kind of a university), just up from that is the Library of Anubia (think a smaller Library of Alexandria). Most of the noble district is complete, these are manses of noble houses, slave masters, senior members of the priesthood and senior military officers. Aside from the walls of the Pharoah's residence more to do. Although the design is very rectilinear, I'm merely replicating Egyptian styled architecture and design, however, the slave quarter, merchants quarter and crafters quarter will be much less uniform compared to official civic centers. Though I've otherwise labeled where things will be going...

Name:	anubia2.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	66691
    DrivethruRPG store

Religious/Administrative Quarter (at center) and Military Quarter (at top) - done!

Name:	anubia3.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	66695
    DrivethruRPG store

One more update before I go to bed. I finished the slave market. I added the animal pens and the prison. Moving right along...

GP

Name:	anubia4.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	3.94 MB 
ID:	66699
    DrivethruRPG store

Merchant's Quarter done, I based the design on Shibam, Yemen.

GP

Name:	anubia5.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	66713
    DrivethruRPG store

Only the Crafters Quarter left to do!

Name:	anubia6.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	66718
    DrivethruRPG store

Done!

Instead of just creating one building shape after another, nearly every block of buildings has a different theme/purpose, so this city was carefully planned, and new ideas were added as I went along. (Funny, RPMiller thinks this looks like a motherboard!)

Enjoy!

GP

Name:	anubia7.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	3.00 MB 
ID:	66724
    DrivethruRPG store