Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dun-Anowen concept sketch

THW My planning process for the most part is this, hey I think I'd like to make a castle. Yeah and I want it on water, so I laid out the landmass. So what might my castle need to start with, a keep or wall? Then I just start to add bits and bobs of space say a great hall / entry towers / kitchens / lords and lady's private areas etc. To me this is more of an exercise of fantasy design, I can make a place that doesn't really have to work like it would architecturally in the real world. If it falls down nobody gets hurt LOL. I'm not to sure I really follow Larb's style I've been doing similar architectural presentation work for 40-45 years LOL No offense Larb, I do like your stuff! I think everyone's style is a little bit of influences from our past art technique exposures, so I'm sure that Larb and I got there in the same way. If we look at other guild members true freehand ink stuff, mine and theirs will have alot of similarities.

I'm not sure how this will really play out. The town will probably get short changed a tad, as you say from lack of paper space. But this is more of an exercise to move out of my comfort zone so to speak. I'd like to learn how J.Edwards did the PS rendering on Bourmout, but as I've added color instead of a monochrome underlay, well we'll have to see how it goes.

I'm open to suggestions on techniques / spaces / places to anyone who wishes to offer em up.

Vellum
    Last edited by Vellum; 08-23-2014 at 11:00 PM.

Very nice and full of promises!

Well another incremental update here. I'm not liking the bottle wreck insert, doesn't add anything to the work. After I did it I felt like it conflicted too much with circular cairns on the hilltop directly below it. This would work better as a separate encounter or detail type map Oh well once its in ink its there LOL. I'm also so so about the use of the brown ink for the border, might have been better to leave it black and maintain a sense of monochrome with only slight color highlights. I may try and take this one into photoshop and see if I can improve my PS skills, as they still stink LOL.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dun-anowen 5.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	580.3 KB 
ID:	66884
    Last edited by Vellum; 08-25-2014 at 11:25 AM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I think it's definitely worth trying out in PS - it's a great piece of work and I'd hate to see you abandon it out of frustration.

I don't know as I'll abandon it per se, but I'm not as happy with it as I had hoped. But that may be the case with alot of folks. Glad you like it, thanks for the support!!

Guild Journeyer

Looks great. Is the meaning of the name just a coincidence?

Not following your question on the name coincidence thing. Is there a real dun anowen out there? Name is something I made up with "Dun" being the traditional callout of some castles / manor houses in scotland / great britain / etc.

Guild Journeyer

It comes from a Celtic word which apparently means "hill" or "hill-fort", which is the origin of the word "downs" used for hills, and Anwen is also a Welsh name apparently meaning beautiful (I'm no expert so take it with a pinch of salt) though I've never heard of Anowen. Anyway, I'll just wait for the next update, it looks like it's going to be a good piece.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12